Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question 12v power inverter and little 110v welder?

hey guys!

I was asked by one of my old highschool teachers to do some repair and installation on an old shipping container that hold's the schools track & field equipment. The conatainer is located at least a good couple hundred feet away from any available power and i don't want to have to bill them for renting a generator. In short, i was wondering if it was possible to power a small 110v welder like a millermatic 135 or lincoln sp135t and a grinder from a small 2500 watt ipower inverter, or do they even make the inverters that big? i'm just brainstorming ideas.. i may just end up renting, couldn't cost that much right?
    Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or expiriences?
    Thanks for the help!
    MillerMatic 175
    Cutting torch
    Arc Air
    Air compressor
    Home built Gas air compressor
    Makita Grinders
    Mazda Pickup
    Enough tools to start a bussiness but no money to do it with!

Current Build List
    Truck mounted Welding Skid
    Welding cable spools (Shell Ryn design)

Saving For
    Vantage 400
    Dynasty 300
    Suitcase Extreme 12VS

Default enough power?

I have a MM135 and I'd be REALLY surprised if it could weld up on that container!!
    Good luck and God bless
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Over here, Home Depot rents a gas powered stick welder for around $50/day
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

a cuple good extention cords 12 gage or 10 if you have them, but 12 would work. any 12V inverter large enough to power the MIG will be waaaaaaay expensive.
    if the steel is thin enough where you want to weld, extention cord and some flux core should do it.
    i have run my MM135 on 150ft of 12 gage no problems
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

What about the batteries? you would need to pull over 200 amps! And that is just for a 110 unit. How about moving the container?

Your kidding right?

Anything done with access to the general public, especially a school, will have liability all over it.

Get the right equipment, do it right, or don't do it at all...

Thats my 2 cents.

why not use oxy/Ace. That should do all necessary easily without the need for electricity.

It is sad that todays schools do not have welders in the shop class

A small generator should run the 120v welder fine, whether the welder is large enough is your decission to make.
    Good luck.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    I have a MM135 and I'd be REALLY surprised if it could weld up on that container!!
    Good luck and God bless
    I did full penetration welds on .250 mild steel angle using a MM 135. It's all in the joint prep and the person doing the welding!

A MM135 draws 20 amps. A 5KW generator wouod be needed to run it at top end. There is no practical 12VDC inverter that will work.

Either run cords as James suggests, or rent the genny.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

technically i'm still a student at the school and pretty much the one all the departments go to for repair and small fab work.. i understand the liabilities involved in welding for a school or anyone else for that matter. As for the inverter idea, it was just that, an idea. I apologize i should have given more information on the job aswell. The job involves cutting off a damaged lock and installing a shroud to cover the locks from vandalism. the plan was to use 3/16 material and run uphands with the small machine because that is the most practical machine we have at our school. we have oxy fuel welding stations (x2) but they are complete junk and not worth messing with, same goes with our cutting torches. i bring alot of my own tools and equipment and rod for that matter to school because we just dont have the funding.
    Agian i was just seeing what was possible because i don't want to have to bill our already underfunded school if i could get away with this idea wich i see now is not possible. I agree with doing things right the first time so i'll go rent a generator.

Thanks everyone for your comments and concerns.
    MillerMatic 175
    Cutting torch
    Arc Air
    Air compressor
    Home built Gas air compressor
    Makita Grinders
    Mazda Pickup
    Enough tools to start a bussiness but no money to do it with!

Current Build List
    Truck mounted Welding Skid
    Welding cable spools (Shell Ryn design)

Saving For
    Vantage 400
    Dynasty 300
    Suitcase Extreme 12VS