Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Ford F8000 frame extension

Here is a F8000 truck frame that I extended 24''. Welding was done with a Trailblazer with RC12. There is a insert bolted in as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 12 RC wire feeder
    Miller HF 251D-1
    Miller 175 wire feed

Default whats it for?

looks good to me.........whats the truck gonna be for? i.e. why did it have to be stretched? just curious......
    1 BEST 6 Y/O HELPER IN THE WORLD
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    LOTS OF HAMMERS MISC SIZES
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    SOME GOOD COMMON SENSE (I THINK)
    TRACTOR WITH NEW HEAVY DUTY LIFT POLE -- FIND MY THREAD
    6 GOATS, 1 DOG, 1 DONKEY...
    ON AND ON AND ON...

I do not know why you did this, But the last time I saw something like this, it was in two pieces in the middle of Miami Int. Airport. what you did is a NO NO. If you know any think about large trucks, You do not weld on the frame. Check with any good truck shop. Most trucks have a sticker and some are stamped on the frame Do no Weld.

Looks good, fish plates are good idea, looks like it may have cut on an angle.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Truck frames are routinely cut and welded, lengthened or shortened. Always cut on an angle and double plate. It should last for many years and maybe a million more miles but keep an eye out for any cracking.

Quote Originally Posted by jamilone View Post
    I do not know why you did this, But the last time I saw something like this, it was in two pieces in the middle of Miami Int. Airport. what you did is a NO NO. If you know any think about large trucks, You do not weld on the frame. Check with any good truck shop. Most trucks have a sticker and some are stamped on the frame Do no Weld.

Yup, routinely done. I've done a couple myself.

What wire did you use?? Mine were done with Outershield 71M.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

What I've seen done differently that I like is to have the brace plates bolted on or roset welded to avoid having a continuous bead of weld going across the frame. Of coarse the frame is still welded across the slanted cut but its covered by the plates.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Quote Originally Posted by jamilone
    What you did is a NO NO. If you know any think about large trucks, You do not weld on the frame. Check with any good truck shop. Most trucks have a sticker and some are stamped on the frame Do no Weld.
    I'm with Don, and strongly disagree with your statement. Yes, the trucks DO have a sticker on them advising against welding ON THE FRAMES. It does NOT say that the frames cannot be welded. Totally different thing.

That warning is just to get the attention of the Cerebral Juggernauts and Backyard Wanna-bees that try to attach chain hangers and fenders (for example) to the frame by welding them on.

I shorten them, lengthen them, weld bumpers to them, weld rear tow aprons, and ramp/roll assemblies to them and everything stays where I put it. Now, that being said, my preference for most of the accessories (bumpers & aprons) is to bolt them on.....But, the customer is paying the bill. As long as I can meet his/her specifications with a sound and safe welding procedure, it gets done.

End of story.

FYI.... Frames are not "Stamped" as it creates stress risers, and can lead to cracks and failure.
    Last edited by Black Wolf; 05-29-2008 at 06:12 PM.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Quote Originally Posted by jamilone View Post
    You should have quoted the rest of the sticker...."Do not weld to frame or drill flanges".
    Jeff

The only thing I diddnt like is the fish plate being welded on across the frame.

I would have only welded across the frame at the splices.

I would have put an inner channel in and let it go beyond the splice and all of my welds would have been parallel to the frame.

Other than that Im sure its a good weld.

I would also like to add something I saw on tv today, They were doing a lift kit on a jeep where welding was required and the guy on TV said dont forget to disconnect the battery before welding and I just had to chuckle.

What he should have said was to keep the ground near where your welding and not on the alternator bracket when welding at the back.

Ive had alot of my customers ask me to also dont forget to disconnect the battery before welding.
    I always knodd and say OK.
    Ive welded on well over 400 trucks and motor hmes over the years and still havent bought one computer.

If your going to disconnest the battery then you better remember to go through and find and diconnect all the ground straps as well.