Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default MM210/Spoolmate 3035 Welding Auminum

Been a while since I have been here and now we are getting ready to weld up some AL projects.

Equipment:
    MM210
    Spoolmate 3035

I have some .035 AL wire and a full tank of Argon gas.
    I am keen to the fact that AL needs to be squeaky clean for good welds.
    We will be welding AL from 1/8" to 1/4" in thickness.

I have the stock regulators / meters that came with my welder and was wondering if there is an ideal flow rate?

Is it possible to have too much gas flowing?

Is the .035 wire OK, or would I be better off with .030 considering the other equipment?

Any easy 'quickie' ways to clean the metal immediately before welding it up?

All hints, tricks, and ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

The .035 wire will be fine for that. Remember always push the gun with aluminum. As for cleaning, a good small stainless brush dedicated to your aluminum work is great followed by a wipe of acetone. There are some good aluminum cleaners on the market (check with your dealer as to which type they carry) but unless your aluminum is pretty fowled up, just ss brush, wipe and weld.

Good luck
    Andy

Good to see your name on the tube! Glad all is well.

Aluminum GMAW ain't nearly as sensitive as GTAW for clean. I use just what Andy described - a stainless brush and a quick wipe with acetone on a clean cloth.

Remember to speed up your travel as the weldment gets hot! On the 1/8" stuff, you really gotta fly!

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Posting Permissions