Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: arc blow

I use 6011 these days and a while back I came across 10# of 10 I must have bought somewhere along the line. They had been laying on same side for so long they burned funny. They were in a plastic Hobart box but they hadnt moved. It appeared that maybe some of the heavier elements in the coating had "sagged" around.

Some 6010s are really bad for going bad.. Like the lincoln 5p, they don't last very long at all. I won't even buy them anymore.. I buy the 5p+

Arc blow.
    The phenomenem of magnetising your work while electric arc welding causing your arc to wander.
    I run into it frequently if I'm running 1/8 7018 flat and trying to run real high amperage. In this case, it is self induced. I will run 1/8 7018 flat up to 160 amps on ocation. This often will induce arc blow. I've tried all the tricks, welding toward the groundclamp, wraping the ground cable around the work, you name it. Only thing that works is turning down the amps. No ac weld current on a dc only industrial welder.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe View Post
    ...I've tried all the tricks, welding toward the groundclamp, wraping the ground cable around the work, you name it. Only thing that works is turning down the amps. No ac weld current on a dc only industrial welder.
    Sometimes if I get arc blow at the edge of a piece I'm welding, it seems like if I tack another larger piece of steel to the edge of whatever I'm welding on – in other words, tack it to the workpiece on the opposite side of the electrode as the direction the ground clamp is – I can reduce the arc blow that way.