Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: arc blow

so you get it wetter to dry it out?

like i said never tried it, but yes get it wetter to dry it out, doesnt make sense does it
    07 f350 duallie w/deck
    07 tb302d
    2011 big blue pro 300 cat
    victor torch
    matthey beveler
    assorted hand tools

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeard's welding View Post
    hate when im caught with my pants downtold by old timer,dont know it works. if 7018 are damp run wet fingers quickly over rod and supposedly will draw the moisture out of the rod
    That mans been smoking crack! I short the rod out for a few seconds,cooks the moisture right out .
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

ending up with diffusible H at about 32

just a thought take a smoke break and go get a coffee and leave the rods in ur oven 4 a bit., but i might try that wet it more in the shop today, see how it goes(dont see it working well but then again wetting a 6010 seemed odd to me too but worked sooo.....)
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

hey is that the Lincolns metal and how to weld them book?? looks like it.

to the ones that only read about welding there are many names for things that happen while welding. as a example on the rigs here there are 10-12 things that are called horse cocks. you just pick up what the slang and trems that are used in ur area. you just get used to the slang and it becomes part of ur every day.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches

arc, yes you do know how to communicate at the job site. But at the same time there needs to be a consistently, proper terms are needed so everyone is talking apples and apples.

true true but many questions put up on here are ones we dont know so we cover any "slang" that the question might pertain to because some dont know or forgot or even misinformed so that is why we post some things that are not "text book"
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches

Wetting a 7018 to "dry it out" is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. They are a low hydrogen elctrode, they need to be baked in an oven. They are not indefinite either, they have a shelf life, and should only be dried a couple of times. When opening the package, if not used within 4 hours, put in an oven at 250+F. These rods are typically used for applications sensitive to hydrogen embrittlement, let me know if this particular individual ever built any bridges. I'll be sure to take the long way around . The 6010 and 6011 rods are supposed to have a certain percentage of moisture in them.

Arc blow can be compensated for a number of ways. Switch to AC, move the work clamp, wrap the work lead around the part, up the voltage, keep a short arc length...

My sa 250 has terrible arc blow. You only notice it on flat 7018... i always wondered what might have caused it. Cruizers comment pretty much sums it up. As for a damp rod... i have a portable rod oven made by lincoln that holds 10# of rods. Its usually the first thing out of the tool box on a job that requires high quality welds.