Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: arc blow

Default arc blow

has anyone had trouble with arc blow with their tb302?? i strictly run dc reverse polarity. i havent yet and have never heard of anyone with a portable ever having trouble. just curious.
    07 f350 duallie w/deck
    07 tb302d
    2011 big blue pro 300 cat
    victor torch
    matthey beveler
    assorted hand tools

Forgive me for overstating the obvious, but Arc Blow isn't specific to any welding machine engine driven or otherwise.....It is usually a result of attempting to weld on something that is affected by magnetism.

The most common methods of reducing or minimizing Arc Blow is to switch to AC (if available) or to manipulate your ground clamp to counteract the magnetic field.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

no you didnt misunderstand me. i was just curious because iv come across it when i was working in the shop but not with my rig. i understabd the magnetism part of it the the AC solution. i was judt curious is all
    07 f350 duallie w/deck
    07 tb302d
    victor torch
    matthey beveler
    assorted hand tools

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeard's welding View Post
    has anyone had trouble with arc blow with their tb302?? i strictly run dc reverse polarity. i havent yet and have never heard of anyone with a portable ever having trouble. just curious.
    It's also caused by: excessive coiled cables around an iron (steel) core, eg, a cable wrap, and can even be caused by a weak diode, or SCR in the machine. Not particular to any machine, static or engine driven welder as well as a magnetics in the plate or pipe you are welding.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeard's welding View Post
    no you didnt misunderstand me. i was just curious because iv come across it when i was working in the shop but not with my rig. i understabd the magnetism part of it the the AC solution. i was judt curious is all
    I think your question was understood. But the machine will not influence arc blow. there are several variable, the machine is not one of them

ah a old school trick if ur using a 6010. wet it and no more arc blow, some times they dry out too much and flux does not want to burn. (dont tell any one most wont agree with this but it does work and still produces a good bead.(x-ray and gamma ray passed). also it can be do to magnetism with the material and coiled cables but if that fails to be the problem try the wetting of the rod just stick it in a puddle or a buck of water but dont soak them.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

that happened to last summmer, wasnt sure if it was arc blow or dry 6010, got mad and opened new sleeve, problem solved!
    07 f350 duallie w/deck
    07 tb302d
    victor torch
    matthey beveler
    assorted hand tools

that works too but i usually get caught with my pants down and forgot to pick some up so the wetting trick saves the day.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

Default 7018

hate when im caught with my pants downtold by old timer,dont know it works. if 7018 are damp run wet fingers quickly over rod and supposedly will draw the moisture out of the rod
    07 f350 duallie w/deck
    07 tb302d
    victor torch
    matthey beveler
    assorted hand tools

hummm never tried that..
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)