Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

i have been burning straight oil, not converting it to bio, just filter it and dump it in the tank. been doing it for 5 years now. the tractor gets up to 50% mix in the tank. the old deere is pretty good on fuel, at 6 gallons per hour if i get 15 gallons a week to toss in the tank it isnt much but it helps.
    use an old milk sock from the dairy pipeline for filtering the oil.

the bigger tractor has a "P" series pump and higher nozzle pressure so it can handle thicker oil in the tank.

the little 4020's have the rotary pump and pencil injectors, they run about 1000psi lower pop pressure, it can handle up to a 25% mix.

starting takes a couple more cranks in the morning. little more blue smoke at idle. gained about 100 rpm in the field. little more black smoke than the newer fuels.

on the new trucks i am not sure how the unit injectors are for sensitivity to any contamination or what not. in theory they should be great for running veggie oil or drain oil since they are at a 25k lbs pop pressure.

The bio-diesel is a great way to go. I made a kit up to use on our irrigation pumps on our ranch. After you replace your first couple filters you will be fine, and your clogging issues will be long gone with a squeaky clean system. The fuel does eat through some of the older fuel lines quicker than regular diesel but you can buy a couple feet of hos at 4.25 a gallon. You will also notice that your rig will run a little quieter and possibly better on the bio. This new low sulfur crap were getting is hard on our fuel pumps, no lubrication unless you run additives. And as far as the fuel tax goes, play dumb, I think there making enough already. Good luck, Adolf Diesel would be proud

Playing ignorant will just get you the same ticket. It would put me in jail as I have a signed DD Cert on file with the state. The Dyed Diesel has no road taxes on it. If I get caught using non taxed diesel in a manner that is considered taxable, I'm sunk like the Titanic.....and so is anyone else with a tax free affidavit on file with the states.

The only time they can get you is if you use that stuff on the road. Off road, they can't touch you.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

I've seen the DOT guys dipping tanks more frequently lately. Hmm... wonder why..... They have definately stepped up looking for drivers using dyed diesel. It wont be long before they look for wvo and bio. The last guy I knew who got nailed for dyed diesel the fine was $10000 for the first offense. They don't issue these guys a sense of humor. You are guilty until proven innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    I've seen the DOT guys dipping tanks more frequently lately. Hmm... wonder why..... They have definately stepped up looking for drivers using dyed diesel. It wont be long before they look for wvo and bio. The last guy I knew who got nailed for dyed diesel the fine was $10000 for the first offense. They don't issue these guys a sense of humor. You are guilty until proven innocent.
    Hitler would of been proud.
    Soon enough someones gonna moniteur how many times and with what kind of paper we wipe our arses with.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Lincoln 140
    O/A
    Gradatim vincimus
    "We conquer by degrees."

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Collar Moto View Post
    Soon enough someones gonna moniteur how many times and with what kind of paper we wipe our arses with.
    Oh I guess you haven't heard that they are all ready doing that!!!

Let us know how your bio diesel experiment turns out. Living in the cold climate that I do I don't think I'd try it, it'd just be one big gelled mess!
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Collar Moto View Post
    google video "freedom to fascism" 2 hours of get your blood boiling.

they are already talking about using the gps on cars to tax you on your miles. then they will be able to see how much gas you use for the miles you drive and tax you more for if you have a poor gas milage vehicle.
    you havent seen anything yet. give it 10 years.

best of luck with the bio . i looked into it a little bit but getting oil here is no longer doable. seems to all be claimed by farmers with a deal with the restaurant, or other source. good for the farmers i say. i would try to get a contract with the restaurants. agree to pick up weekly or whatever works for them so they don't get over loaded. with your temps you could probably get away with strait oil burning with a diesel startup. you could run your radiator lines threw the oil tank to bring it up in temp. as said fuel lines and filters are a big thing, but thats about all it seems is needed. an older motor may be a big advantage. i did run into a guy up here that runs it in VW rabbits all summer but docent bother in the winter. however his tractor is run on it year round with a diesel start.
    as for the gas tax. i would keep a record of fuel used and pay it. its not as bad as you may think, most of the $ per gal is going to the oil people not the road tax. should still come out well ahead. definitely should look into it before the ticket shows up.
    keep us posted and best of luck.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Lightbulb signwave

so who here by show of hands thinks signwave has gone of the deep end? hehehehehe

i dont think so, your just fed up like the rest of us...............just a bit more outspoken.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Friend of mine set up a bio fuel plant in an out building on his property. about $100 in parts and a bunch of stuff he already had laying around and he now makes fuel for around .40 cents a gallon.
    Very simple set up. he now has drums of fuel stacked outside the door to the out building.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com