Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default The price of gas getting you down? -Back yard refinery-

Kinda off topic, but not completely. Going to weld up the stands and plumbing for it.

Just getting into the Bio-Diesel concept. The commercial home refineries are expensive. $4000.00 and up. One can be made at home for around one to two hundred dollars. If its worth having its worth making yourself.

Before I get flamed for the price of commercial bio diesel let me repeat myself. I'm going to be making it myself. I have some Chinese restaurants lined up to give me the used oil already. 0.75c VS 4.05 per gallon!

Here is a link to a good site I found on the subject.
    http://www.biodieselnow.com/forums/

A part of the project will include changing out my old gas burning V8 in my 67 chevy van, and putting in a diesel engine. Plenty of welding for new mounts, cross members, and storage tanks.
    Last edited by Blue Collar Moto; 04-30-2008 at 11:56 AM.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Lincoln 140
    O/A
    Gradatim vincimus
    "We conquer by degrees."

Default mine eyes have seen the burning.

Col idea. I wish you luck with it.. I got stuck behind a Benz running this stuff. My eyes were on fire and it smelled like takeout deepfry...

Dont you have to rejet as well?
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

No need to re-jet. I think some cars/trucks work better than others. Sounds like the guy in front of you didn't wash the diesel before putting it in his tank. There are trace amounts of soap in the oil made by the refining process. If not washed out it could make your eyes burn.

PS. It will smell like take out! So if your on a diet you decide for yourself.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Lincoln 140
    O/A
    Gradatim vincimus
    "We conquer by degrees."

Good luck with the project, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
    Just a word of caution though. I saw on the news a while ago where a guy got busted for tax evasion by making his own fuel. Money for road maintenance (and whatever else they decide to do with it) comes from the tax on fuel.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Quote Originally Posted by burninbriar View Post
    Good luck with the project, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
    Just a word of caution though. I saw on the news a while ago where a guy got busted for tax evasion by making his own fuel. Money for road maintenance (and whatever else they decide to do with it) comes from the tax on fuel.
    Pay un to Caesar what is Caesar's....... Ya, you still will have to pay the man.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Lincoln 140
    O/A
    Gradatim vincimus
    "We conquer by degrees."

Default oh yeah?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Collar Moto View Post
    Pay un to Caesar what is Caesar's....... Ya, you still will have to pay the man.
    F*** tha man. Just like he's F****** us... Arent you tired of it all yet?
    Born to live taxed to death. All those billions of your hard earned dollars going to politicians and things you cant even begin to think of...

I dont mean to be a shi t disturber but its true...
    Im thinking of building a still so that i can make ethenol or wood alcohol. I need to read up more though. An edumacation is the first place to start.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

As long as you have a supplier lined up and can keep them, good for you.

I know several guys that have either gone the home made bio route or run WVO. The big problem that they have is now many places are realizing that the "trash" oil has a value. Their oil supliers have started to sell the waste oil to companies that collect it and sell it to bio producers. The "free" oil is gone and they are stuck still paying for the equipment / conversions that they got.

Don't forget that the new diesel motor will have an expense in itself. A reman motor for my truck is $6-7K. Be advised that there have been a lot of problems with cloged filters in standard diesel engine that have been converted to bio. If you go with used parts expect to change fuel filters very frequently as the bio loosens up old deposits.

Also remember that most bio will gell at temps below about 50F. In cool or cold weather you will have to cut it with std diesel at least 50/50 to be able to use it. Still a savings, but if you've ever had a diesel engine that wont start due to gelled fuel, its not fun.

Have you considdered what you will do with the waste residue? From my understanding it's about 30-40% of the final product.

I looked into the idea. I use between 35-55gal of std diesel / week. That would mean procesing about a minimum of 55-75 gal of waste oil each week. The collection hasssles plus the fact that most places are starting to sell the waste oil to collection companies for $ just didn't make it worth it. If you can do it for $200 go for it.

Good point. There have even been instances where people have been caught stealing the oil. Once it is in the collection tank it belongs to the oil co. You have to set up your own 55gal drum for the guys to use. I think it depends largely upon where you live. Here in Los Angeles the restaurants pay to have the oil removed. The jell issue is not a problem here 95% of the time.
    I drive on average 100 plus miles a day for work. The savings to me will be like getting a extra paycheck each month. Ya gotta do the math for your own circumstances to see if its a good alternative for yourself.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Lincoln 140
    O/A
    Gradatim vincimus
    "We conquer by degrees."

Blue Collar Moto definately look into the waste by product issue. Your driving sounds a lot like mine. My 2000 7.3 get 15 mpg with 3.73's. The 08' 6.4 a stinkin 8 mpg. You will have a lot of oil to process and a lot of waste. Don't forget that you will need storage capasity and most likely a pump to transfer. Gravity is ok but thats a ton, literally, of weight to have up in the air. Diesel is a bit over 7 lb / gal.

I have a 115gal transfer tank in the F250 with a 12v pump and filter, a 275 gal home heating oil tank with a 115v pump and filter, and several 55 gal drums with a hand crank pump, that I use for fuel. You will definately want to get a filter for your pump. The kind I use screw on like an oil filter and have a water absorbing media in them. When they fill up with water they stop flowing. Water will be one of the biggest problems. Water in diesel injectors will quickly get VERY expensive.

If you are driving a small VW ignore most of this.

Cool

Years ago we ran all of our shop trucks on propane because it was cheap. And yes you still have to pay mileage tax, so keep some good books...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48