Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Oxy / Acetylene firewall barriers ?

i hear we are supposed to have a firewall between our tanks now ? is that for when we are using the set or during storage ?

Mike
    Mike
    Lincoln 225 Buzz Box
    Hobart Champ 10K
    HH 210
    Victor Journeyman
    New Toys Coming

Cool

Where i work its for all sets of tanks. I even see factory installed plates on new carts...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Bob ! ! ! Why ? what will it matter ?
    i am looking at a portable welding business, with an engine driven welder on one side of my truck and a Oxy/ Actelyene on the other side, well bolted in. and shipping caps installed when i am not using it. more from theft than any other reason. and the truck always being outside. i don't see why it would matter whether there is a firewall between the tanks or not ? it is outside ?
    i am not saying i won't comply, just want to know what caused this forrest idea and why ?

Mike
    Mike
    Lincoln 225 Buzz Box
    Hobart Champ 10K
    HH 210
    Victor Journeyman
    New Toys Coming

Default Please explain?

Where are these barriers supposed to be located?
    Between the tanks, or between the tanks and truck?
    How thick of material?

Thanks

Default firewalls?

I don't think we really need any firewalls between our tanks, but there should be some kind of common sense detector installed. In all my years in this business, I have seen some really stupid actions taking place with torch bottles. A few weeks ago I was in a citrus packing house and the shop mechanics had a set of torches sitting out in the middle of the floor, no cart,not tied to anything, hoses stretched to their limit, and a couple dozen packers (girls) walking around just waiting to knock over the bottles while they were trying to fix a piece of machinery.
    The one that I see all too often and scares me the most is that it is very commonplace to see work trucks riding down the interstate at 80 m.p.h. with the torch bottles barely strapped in with a piece of twine and the hoses and regulators still hooked up. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by crenshawjm View Post
    Bob ! ! ! Why ? what will it matter ?
    i am looking at a portable welding business, with an engine driven welder on one side of my truck and a Oxy/ Actelyene on the other side, well bolted in. and shipping caps installed when i am not using it. more from theft than any other reason. and the truck always being outside. i don't see why it would matter whether there is a firewall between the tanks or not ? it is outside ?
    i am not saying i won't comply, just want to know what caused this forrest idea and why ?

Mike
    well we got a new guy from TENNESSEE welcome aboarded ,I was reading about this in a welding Magzine but don`t remeber much about it sorry

Inferno Forge

Chris

This might sound silly, but why would you need a divider between the tanks. If everything is strapped down properly and the valves are covered I don't see how a tank divider is going to help. If you are in a bad enought accident for the tanks to become volatile you will probably have bigger problems I would think?
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Not to start a completely off shooted thread, but... does anybody but me think that they have board meetings at OSHA just to figure new rules and regs simply to keep their job security level high? Why not just enforce the ten thousand ones already on the books and leave the guys alone that are just trying pay the mortgage and feed the kids.

So if we figure the wall-thickness of the cylinders themselves, what exactly does a divider plate add?