Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding cost calculator

Is there a free program out there for calculating the cost of a job, be it the rod usage, gas usage, cost of materials, cost of labor, and such. Any help is appreciated.

Default Microsoft Templates

I myself do not know of a welding project calculator, but you could probably modify one from Microsoft.com's library of templates.

There's a bathroom remodeling calculator that you could replace the names with welding items and it may work for you?

Here's a link to it: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...CT101444811033

There are lots of other types of templates available though...here's the main link: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...s/default.aspx Scroll down to see all of the various categories.

Good luck!

The only ones Ive heard of are expensive. Could get a new Tig machine for that kind of $$$$.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Lincoln 140
    O/A
    Gradatim vincimus
    "We conquer by degrees."

Thank you for those templates, Im sure I can suit them to my needs. Again thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcruz View Post
    Is there a free program out there for calculating the cost of a job, be it the rod usage, gas usage, cost of materials, cost of labor, and such. Any help is appreciated.

There is no way a "program" can ever accuratly calulate the cost of a job unless it's a very small, very simple job and in that case why would you need help?

The greatest tools for estimating are several years of dedicated study in the field, There are hundreds of variables that you can't calc with a program.

The best estimaters I know are constantly honing their skills, every job you do (even if it's time and material work) you should estimate in your head, time the different parts of the job and compare your pre job estimate with the reality after the fact.
    That will dial in your estimating ability quickly, and you'll be able to quote with strong confidence in your numbers instead of "hoping" you make money on the job.

It takes several years to be able to figure in all of the influencing factors involved from weather conditions to the skill levels/efficiency of your people.

Fortunes are made, and lost, in estimating, and the ability to beat money out of a bid.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

there is one in the Miller TIG book. i'll see if i can find the page and post it for ya. may not cover it all but its a good base to work from.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Lightbulb

this may be of some help ?? may have to alter it to fit the situation a bit.
    its in chapter 9 i think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

There are a lot of weld calculaters out there that will give you volumn of weld metal, you plug in deposition rate for your process, cost of consumables, ect. But that doesn't give you a real world job cost until you modify the numbers.
    Esab has a very good one but Blodgett has the best in my opinion, in the Lincoln Foundation books.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Was searching around and found this: http://www.industri.no/e-weld/eng/De...1&Side=Innhold

Free download too!
    Last edited by Icarus; 05-03-2008 at 11:28 AM.

I dont know how I let this thread slip through the cracks. It didnt show new posts on my computer, oh well. Thank you all for the links to the calculators they helped, but this is all new to me, so here is what I got, its for government contract job.

Job which is down in orlando florida for homeland security. All I gotta do is weld 80 pieces of flat bar that are 2" by 5" in width and length. Thats it, my job is just welding that flat bar onto the security cages. I have to weld all four sides of the flat bar which is 3/8" thick. The room is 60 square foot with no windows, and the nearest window is 45 feet away, so I know Im gonna have to run some kind of fume exhaust, but I can manage rigging up something for that. He didnt state what kind of welding process, but with the limited space and no windows, I told him I would most likely tig weld the flat bar to cut down on fumes that stick welding gives off, especially for such a small room. Im not ruling out any other welding process, and starting to think Stick welding will go faster. I dont have a mig gun so thats out of the question.

My questions are,

1. How do you right up a proposal, is it just a invoice of some time (this question is not as important as the next ones)

2. Im gonna be pretty straight foward, Im very confident in my welding ability's so thats not an issue, but this is my very first job, and this ones a big one, so what kind of quote would you give for 80 pieces of 2" by 5" flat bar welded on all four sides, using 3/32" inch filler (the cages are mild steel).

3. What do you charge for mileage going out to a job site. I mean how much do you charge the customer per mile you traveled?

Please put yourself in my shoes, using your years of experience just guestimate what you would charge for a job like this if you had to propose an estimate to a customer. I really need your guy's help, I literally cant afford to lose this job, the bills are depending on it. I thank you all for any help that can be given.

joe