Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

I am planing on getting a bike I do want one I'm more into getting a chopper. If I do get into chopper building I want to get more into the fab side of it. I wont be going down to California until I'm a bit older and have gained a lot of experience. My welding fab course is going to be 15,000 for the 3 years 8 months for the fab and 2 years 7 months

heres the college's web site http://www.hollandc.pe.ca/FactSheets...abrication.htm

Cool Welder/Fitter program

I dont think we have anything like that in BC I did it the hard way I guess One at a time if you can get throuhg this in one shot go for it.

Students will also be trained in the use of stationary power equipment such as press break, shear and rolls. Students in this area of study will train to the Red Seal standard for the designated trade of Welder and, if they choose, can obtain a second Red Seal in the trade of Metal Fabricator after a fourth year of study/training.

Trades Awareness and Safety Orientation
    Hand and Power Tools
    Oxy-Fuel Welding
    Cutting Procedures
    Rigging
    Gas Tungsten Arc Welding
    Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)
    Blueprint Reading
    Essential Employability Skills
    Math
    Computer Literacy
    Gas Metal Arc Welding
    Flux Cored Arc Welding
    Metallurgy
    Project Management
    Inspection Material Specification
    Layout
    Quality Control and Materials Identification
    Specialty Welding
    Finishing and Installing
    CNC Plasma Cutting Table
    Computer Aided Design Software

I hope you do well there's stuff on here that I never got to take

just remember one thing this is school when you leave school it will be a bit different but you will have a better understanding of what's going on. O ya most journeymen that you will run into they will think that there king sh!t.And wont listen to reason because your younger.just thought you should know although you probably already know since you have worked at this already through school.well anyway keep us up dated.

1 exam down 2 more to go I know I passed the class I needed to graduate. I am looking for a welding job now I decided if I get one Im going to remove all my piercings. I guess Im finally ready to do whats right

you might have better luck finding the job if you take out the pircings befor you start looking insted of after if you get the job.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Thanks for that bit of info When I go to a shop the first thing I say is these piercings can be removed if need be

i use to have a lot of piercings (15 in totall) and trust me, piercings and metal fab do not go together well, you might aswell just take them out now, the only thing i have left is my tongue ring, and remenants from streching my ears, everything else is just a battle with infection

but good luck with the schooling
    mm210
    maxstar 150

I have my tounge pierced and my ears stretched but Im slowly unstreching them I can actually keep my tounge ring? I was planning on keeping that but with clear ring. I dont really want to lose all of my piercings but do I really have a choice? My septum is hidden and my lip has been there for over a year now. Will I need to remove all my ear piercings?

i would think an ear piercing or too would probly slide but the holes all over your face would be best to not have them for the interview. after you get the job you will soon find out whats acceptable there and add as discretion alows. but i would start out looking with as lil against me as possible. we have coverd this befor. and wile you may be a great welder with all the right qualifications, you will be representing the comp. you work for on job's and all the piersings may well not be the image the comp. wants the customer to see.
    that you can find out after you have the job. or you can stand your groiund and keep them all and find out befor you get hired who will alow them, i would expect a long serch for a job that way though. the imployer would rather se you are willing to forgo the pircings to get a good job when intervieing and may well tell you its ok to have them. he will know you have them even if you take them out, but the employer will see you value the job more then them if you show up looking for the job without the piercings. shows you are realy sereous about work, not just sliding in there cuzz mom is making you look for work.
    its your call but wile percings are on the rise as is there aproval you should likely start without and add them later if its permitted.
    good luck.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default appearance

youngwelder_154,

Listen to what these guys are telling you, first appearance makes all the difference in the world. I used to work with a guy that had tattoos covering most of his body, great weldor/ fabricator, But the company we worked for got numerous complaints about his appearance, we had to keep him at the shop while the rest of us got to work out in the field. He was a very intimidating to look at but had a heart of gold, he was just judged by his look. After the company we worked for shut down (he was there for about 15 years) we all were able to get hired by other companies pretty quick, all but him. He ended working for the only company in the area that would hire him, doing the worst of the worst, and when he passed away last year he was only making 9.00 per hour, while the rest of us were making at least double that. He spent most of his life doing what he loved but because of his appearance he didn't have the same opportunities the rest of us had. Me personally, I don't care much what you look like as long as you can do the job, but a lot of others do. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Thumbs up

These guys are 100% right. I am a shop foreman and interview mechanics. I would not be very impressed with all the piercings to be honest. Its not that "I" mind them its what impression other people get when they see them. I do believe in freedom of expression and am glad you can do what you like, but. When you work for someone you are representing their business. I'll bet you this. If 2 guys are applying for the same job and both highly skilled, great guys. The one with out the piercings will get hired. You are right skill doesnt matter what you look like, but sales does. [note: the beautiful girls selling things]just my 2 cents worth, sounds like you already know all this and are on the best track, so good luck

Man that seems like a great school, did you notice the hours almost equal a full time job. Should be interesting
    Last edited by HMW; 06-12-2007 at 01:47 PM.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]