Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Tig welding project

Well these kegs are part of an electric microbrewery Im constructing for a gentlemen in my brew club. Id just figured Id post my tig welds. Keep in mind this is my first time ever welding such thin metal, especially stainless steel this thin. I think the thickness is a 1/16 of an inch thick or 3/32.

Last edited by usmcruz; 04-24-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Here are more pictures

yet more pictures

By the way that solar flux is a b$tch to get off, Im thinking of messing with the fiber backing tape instead, what do you guys think?

Where are you putting the solar flux?
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

i back gas with argon, solar flux when you can't. Since its a tank it should be pretty easy to back gas and much cleaner too.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    Where are you putting the solar flux?

I put the solar flux on the backside of the weld inside of the keg. I agree back purging would be better, but I dont have the money for another tank. Is there a way to incorporate a splitter into the hose i have now?

Talking

Yup. Put a Y conector after the regulator and turn your gas flow up a tad more. About 10 - 15 cfh higher on the flowmeter ought to do it.just remember to clean any welds that come in contact with the beer with nitric acid or it may taste like rust.

Pretty darn good for a 1st timer!!! Looks like it fused enough!!! Wait till the test and see how it holds up!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
    Yup. Put a Y conector after the regulator and turn your gas flow up a tad more. About 10 - 15 cfh higher on the flowmeter ought to do it.just remember to clean any welds that come in contact with the beer with nitric acid or it may taste like rust.

Thanks buddy I will do that, but as for the Nitric acid, couldnt I scrub the welds with Barkeepers friends which is supposed to restore the stainless steels protective layer. By the way Barkeepers friend is made for stainless steel.

Thanks Bert, but the tests are out, all of my fittings dont leak except for the patch I tig welded where the owner of the kegs cut a whole into the keg. I made the patch with a 2 inch piece of stainless steel flat bar. Where I went wrong is grind the patches to try to blend them into the keg, and it caused a stress fracture. I went to tig weld the fracture and she opened up on me and I got drop thru .

I got a question for you all, how do you avoid the golf ***** on the inside of the keg on a normal tig weld. Even when I turn the heat down, the back side of the weld gets these small golf ***** like extra metal shot out the back, but the weld on the front looks ok. I even turned down my heat to 50 amps, I just dont understand it. Im welding directly on the outside of the keg and not a joint so I believe I dont need to back flush it, or is this my problem. Here is a picture,

Outside of the weld before cleanup

Inside of the keg of the same tig weld. The middle of the patch you can see where the holes in the keg were. Im gonna grind them and blend them out to the patch.

I want you guys to be critical of me. Even though I went to 7 months of school, Im by no means an expert. I want you to all be critical so that I know what the **** Im doing wrong so that I dont repeat the same mistakes in the future.
    Last edited by usmcruz; 04-27-2008 at 11:35 PM.

It's stainless... You need to back purge it, or use the paste. That's oxidation.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at