Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rate my weld

Default Rate my weld

Ths is for another project I am doing. Since joining this forum, I have become very critical of my welds. So, I am going to throw myself to the wolves. I appreciate any comment, positive or negative

Scott

The welder I am using I believe is from when dinosaurs roamed the earth. Union Carbide is the name on it. RUnning 75/25, we use it during the day to repair and/or modify safes. By night, I use it to build gym equipment

First two pics are of an upright for a prowler. 1/4" x 3 plate, 1.9" x 10ga tubing. Uprights are 36" long and attach to a 3x2" frame. Unit has 3 skids on it. Basically you grab onto the uprights and push until you puke. I have pushed 540# fro about 60feet then promptly cramped up. It is a brutal device for getting into shape. great for football players. I'll try to resize the finished product pic.

Third and fourth pics are for whats called a farmers walk. 3x3 x 3/16" tubing that I filled with concrete. a handle is fit between the uprights, grab on, stand up and walk for distance. each one weighs 90# and you can add additional weights to the rond uprights at either end
    Attached Images Attached Images

They don't look to bad. I've seen a lot worse from so called "Professionals". In the 2nd pict I would say you were moving to fast on the top right side weld. The other side looks ok to me. A couple of the 90* corner welds look like they might be a tad bit cold as they look a little piled up, but its a little hard to tell.

The 90* welds look like there isn't much penetration.

I'd say speed was a little to fast and inconsistent. but also as stated I've seen much worse from a so called professional welder.
    Using a grading scale A+ being the best weld I've ever seen F being the worst I've seen (like my first try at stick welding ) I remember my Dad asking if it was chewing gum or pidgin $hit I was welding with because that's what they looked like.
    I'd say you are right there at a B to B+. The welds would pass an inspection now it just refining the details.
    I've been a machinist for so long I expect everything I do to come out as near perfect as possible and it just pi$$es me off to no end when my welds don't look text book perfect. I have to remember it's function first aesthetics second but I still try for the perfect bead every time.
    Kerry
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

basic terms... to fast!!!

Too fast and maybe too hot. But likely too fast especially for that thickness material.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

Fast and hot is good.

From the number of clear lenses I have to change on the shop's hood,
    or more nearly- I have to change the outer one each time after you're done.

I'd say you're looking straight down through the smoke column,
    instead of from the side, and just can't see what you're doing after about 2 minutes.

I've come in on Monday, and gone to use it--
    I"ll pick it up and think,
    'Gosh, that boy couldn't tell if its daylight or dark when looking through this thing'.
    "Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
    I doubt we'll see either of their likes again".

Circa 1920.
    Author:
    Unknown US Coast Guard unit Commander.