Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

what part of the country are you located? rocky around you?

I am in east central mn. north part of the twin cities. on a 330 cat we can run a 4 yard sand bucket. not many rocks or hard dirt around here. to see a tear like that looks like something from northern mn. where it is a lot of hard rock.

Default safety first

DON'T WORRY GUYS -- SAFETY FIRST! when i tell him that i'm about to "make noise" (grinder, chop-saw etc) or weld/cut, he heads for the side room of the shop or outside and pretends to cut the grass on the riding mower. but as soon as the noise is over he's on his way back in. he's had his share of "knots on his head" though. i know that it has given him a healthy measure of respect or belief when i tell him not to do something because it could hurt him. but if he's at all like me he has about 27million more knots/scrapes/lacerations etc to come.

as far as the damage to the 325 cat bucket, MADCOW, they were busting up concrete with it. but we're heavily funded clay around jackson, ms. the shifty/swelly/shrinky type that moves around and increases the bank accounts for the people that do foundation repair.

BDJ -- i agree man! let 'em get dirty!!! he goes with me to the steel supplier, scrap yard, parts houses, lws, etc. it's extra trouble/enjoyment to keep a watchful eye out for him, but the time spent with him is far more important than the convenience of dropping him off at daycare as soon as the doors open.

by the way, i appreciate y'alls replies. it's fun to watch this forum and i hope i have lots of fun posting here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking

You should get the little guy his own lid. You would probably have to modify the head gear a little but by the time he 18 he'll be a class A welder.

Default future weldor

he already has his own clear shield and legit hardhat, and as soon as he can write with a steady hand i plan on letting him start scratching some steel with a rod in lttle weave and stringer patterns.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by grnxrymnky View Post
    he already has his own clear shield and legit hardhat, and as soon as he can write with a steady hand i plan on letting him start scratching some steel with a rod in lttle weave and stringer patterns.
    That is awesome, so nice to see someone spending quality time with their little ones.

On the safety side, don't forget about some "lil welding gloves".

By the way, nice work on the bucket. I have done the same type of work at the company I work for. Its amazing the damage and abuse an "operator" can inflict on equipment and attachments. I get a kick out of the items which they break. We have one crew that uses a Komatsu PC300 Excavator with a material bucket to bust up and crush the concrete for recycling. Job security, right? I like it!

Actually, I went into a management role a bit more than two years ago at the company, this is not for me, I'm leaving soon and going back too welding on construction equipment. Yes, serenity now!!!

Why do I suddenly have visions of this small child on the 4th of July trying to "weld" with a sparkler?

Default i can't stop laughing ...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

i can totally see that happening!
    as long as he doesn't try to sneak up and weld me with it........
    1 BEST 6 Y/O HELPER IN THE WORLD
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    LOTS OF HAMMERS MISC SIZES
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    SOME GOOD COMMON SENSE (I THINK)
    TRACTOR WITH NEW HEAVY DUTY LIFT POLE -- FIND MY THREAD
    6 GOATS, 1 DOG, 1 DONKEY...
    ON AND ON AND ON...

Talking

I used to do the same thing when I was a kid with sparklers. Well at least what ever career he decides to go into he'll grow up knowing the difference between a hammer and a screwdriver unlike most of todays kids. I have a white collar neighbor who thought he just built a skyscraper or somthing after he hung a picture on the wall and he still didn't get it right! He used a 16 penny duplex nail and it was crooked too.

LOL...That must have been one he!! of a picture.......
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Quote Originally Posted by grnxrymnky View Post
    Yep that little fella is gonna be a good "hand" someday. I thought I was the only one that did that with sparklers as a child