Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Making a 2 post auto lift work like a storage lift.

I like to store cars on my 2 post service lift when they and the lift are not in use. It is not good to do so with the suspension hanging down for long periods of time. I built a set of adaptors to make a quick conversion for my service lift into a storage lift. I have some 2X10 ramps that are notched so I can drive right on and lift the car without messing around with setting the arms. i used 1.24 grade 8 bolts. I calculate that I can lift my entire shop foundation and all from the 4 bolts. The bolts are recessed into and then welded to the box tubing. There is 1/4 top plate that the bolts are welded to as well a 3/8 angle iron that reinforces the box and tube end welds.
    I used up facing bolts so i can set the adaptors on the floor and bolt up or lower a car down on to them and then switch from wheel to frame lift or vice versa without moving the car.

Do not try this at home, this is for novelty use only. Make one and get bugsplatted under it serves you right for getting stupid ideas off the internet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Neat idea, but would still bust my head on it. I have a Bend pac similar to yours, except clear floor model. I have a friend who has a drive on model that he uses like you do.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    Neat idea, but would still bust my head on it. I have a Bend pac similar to yours, except clear floor model. I have a friend who has a drive on model that he uses like you do.
    Bottom of device is 6 feet one inch from ground at full hight. That is one reason I went with the Bend-Pac flor plate over the Rotary the Bend-pac full stroke is 4 inch to 6 foot 6 pad hight. I have a small work shop and set up work tables or materal racks under the car when I am working on another one.

I love it!

one suggestion though, i would put a piece of plate (formed to the shape of the tire) in each of the "tire holes". i don't like the tires resting on round tubing.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Quote Originally Posted by Laiky View Post
    I love it!

one suggestion though, i would put a piece of plate (formed to the shape of the tire) in each of the "tire holes". i don't like the tires resting on round tubing.
    I thought about this too. If made the shape of the tire the rack would need a tall ramp to drive the car in. If flat plate was used the car has a chance of rolling up and over the tubes. As it is I can drive right on with no aids and the tires are locked in with NO chance to the car rolling off the rack. I left the car up for 2 months and the tires did not have flat spots. Two round contact points over one flat one I guess. I was thinking about adding a chain hammock of sorts for each tire holding cell. They would sit slack and flat to the floor while the car is driven on but would droop to cradle the tire when suspended. With no flat spots so far I am reluctant to make any additions. As they are I can carry each around and store them behind the tire balancer out of the way. as with most things I make the first one is not the best one and this is the first one.

It is not good to do so with the suspension hanging down for long periods of time
    How would the car know? Does it get hurt feelings?

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Of course it does, Its a Porshe!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    I thought about this too. If made the shape of the tire the rack would need a tall ramp to drive the car in. If flat plate was used the car has a chance of rolling up and over the tubes. As it is I can drive right on with no aids and the tires are locked in with NO chance to the car rolling off the rack. I left the car up for 2 months and the tires did not have flat spots. Two round contact points over one flat one I guess. I was thinking about adding a chain hammock of sorts for each tire holding cell. They would sit slack and flat to the floor while the car is driven on but would droop to cradle the tire when suspended. With no flat spots so far I am reluctant to make any additions. As they are I can carry each around and store them behind the tire balancer out of the way. as with most things I make the first one is not the best one and this is the first one.
    There should not be any concern with flat spots as MOST modern tires are made with polyester body ply cords. The polyester will not take a set as the older nylon body ply tires would.

Griff

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    As with most things I make the first one is not the best one and this is the first one.
    Nice, simple solution to your problem. No need fer excuses. It's how man got to the moon, how we put satellites around most of the planets in our solar system, how man put up the International Space Station. We're NEVER satisfied. We start with Model #1 and finish with Model #1000. We learn from everything we build. We don't b!tch and moan like a woman; we make improvements until WE are satisfied. We learn from our mistakes, well except for our 'multi' marriages.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Yea, they start feeling droopy. Rubber bushings can take odd sets. The CV boots are overextended and deform and can get tears. The gas struts extend to full out and when in this position the shaft is less supported in the cylinder and when you add in full extension deflection they can loose pressure. Non gas struts can take an odd set and when you put the car back on the tires the car sits real high for a while. All this is "can" not will. I have hung cars overhead since I built the shop and other than a strut cover boot ripping have had no problems. 3/4 of the reason I made the adaptors was to make it easy and fast to store the car. I can drive right in and lift the car without doing anything other than pushing the up button. The other thing is the tires are now held up higher and I am not bumping into them while working in a small shop. BTW mine is a Poor-sha, only the rich guys have Porsches.