Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I went with enco. Free shipping was nice since it's not exactly lightweight. I'll post up how well it works after I get it.

Burninbrier

2 Things get in the way of endless straight cuts - First my wall gets in the way as it is only about 4" behind the shear, but the real issue is the body of the shear. It's fine on one side to keep sliding the material back, but the offcut piece bangs into the body of the shear. You could keep trimming the offcut piece and sliding back, but I'm usually trying to cut out a small piece from a larger sheet, so that doesn't work, nor does it work when you want to cut an 8"x8" corner out of a larger piece. I'd gladly trade in my 6" version for the 12" one, but I can't convince myself to just buy a second one.

I use one similar every day. I hardly even touch my plasma cutter anymore. A beverly type shear is next on the list for the few occasions when I make a curve. If you're doing a lot of 1/8" stuff, they're hard to beat for quick and clean cuts.
    Scott Rhea
    It's not what you build...
    it's how you build it
    Izzy's Custom Cages

Got my shear and set it up on friday. It works good but there's just no way I can shear close to it's listed capacity without breaking something (either myself or the shear )
    I didn't buy it to shear 1/4" all the time and I didn't expect it too. However, I did try to cut a piece of 1/4" about 1" wide (listed capacity 2-3/4"x1/4"). I didn't get far through it before I heard a pop and I saw something go flying. I knew it wasn't the piece I was cutting and I was afraid it was a piece of the shear blade. I then spotted the handle mount (fuzzy cell phone pics attached). The handle that comes with this has lots of slop (oversized inaccurate mounting holes) and aparently relies on this little corner to keep it aligned and solid. Well too bad, the corner isn't there anymore I plan on making a new handle with accurate holes that can rely more on the mounting bolts.

I guess that's what I get for testing the capacity of a cheap chinese tool
    Attached Images Attached Images