Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I realize that they are both the same machine, but I like the fact that I can take the Miller back to AIRGAS and have it worked on should something go wrong with it. I looked at the Hobart but didn't like the fact that if something went wrong with it and I took it back to Atwoods they would just laugh at me and tell me it's my problem to deal with, not theirs.
    At Home
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Performance Tools 6" Bench Grinder
    Craftsman Hand Tools
    Craftsman Cordless Drills

DeWalt Angle Grinder
    1976 AMC Jeep CJ7
    1980 Ford F150 Custom
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado C1500

At Work
    Miller Bobcat 250
    2 Miller MM251s
    2 Miller MM252s
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Snap-On Flux Core Welding Machine

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter
    Victor Torches

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4x4

Proud American Ham KE5TJA

Wish I Still Had Mine

I posted a question on the Miller tech section. To my happy surprise I received a call back and had a very informative conversation with a Miller Rep regarding the power draw and other information on different welders. Says alot about Miller service to have a tech call me back instead of just leaving an email........Gear

A friend of mine has one. Nice machine. But a heavy beast for sure! Probably will last a lifetime.

Default Dialarc 250 Info

I'm no expert at this but for what its worth:

I have a newer Dialarc 250 w/o power factor correction. I love this machine! It welds like a dream when using it in the mid-range of its power capabilities. The manual says it needs a 125A breaker on 230V. Several times I've run mine at full duty cycle on a 230V/50A breaker at up to 240 DC weld amps using up to 3/16 rods and have had no issues with the input circuit. The wires in the sub-panel get slightly warm, but nothing else. I suppose if you ran it wide-open it might be too much for a 50A circuit. Just make sure your entire 50A circuit is wired with #8 AWG or larger.

BTW: If you do pick one up, think twice about the power factor correction option. It draws a lower current when welding with power factor correction, but it also draws a hefty 23A at idle! (without the PFC it draws only 2.5A at idle). That could make for expensive power bills if you have a lot of idle time. You can tell if the machine has the power factor correction by the model number. Miller can help you out with that.
    Last edited by nedster; 05-09-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Duplicate Post

Thumbs up The Dialarc 250... what else to say its a MILLER

I was raised up in the welding world on that machine.
    A PLUS in my book. If you have used one or own one you know what I mean. It's old school and YES I perfer the older machines to the newer ones.
    But to each it's own.

Dave.