Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Miller dialarc 250

Have a chance to purchase an older dialarc 250 (white face). Told the machine is in good condition and has been used just a few times. The original owner still has the machine. Question do these older machines have any issues regarding reliability. I'm also considering using this machine as a tig welder also any thoughts on this.

We had one of those at he high school, great machine for SMAW. I don't know exactly how old it was but it surrvived many years of immature school kids beating on it and still runs very well. I couldn't comment on how it would work with tig since I haven't tried. The only draw back that I could think of would be that they suck a lot of power, ours would draw over 100 amps at the breaker (measured by a proffesional electrician) when running near full capacity.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

I'm just running a 50 amp breaker, I don't think I will ever need full power....

Its a great machine but because of power issues in home shops I opt for a Hobart Stickmate, right out of the box new for 420 or so and runs from common 50A electric service, these days I am tempted to look at Maxstars too due to the cost of copper. The Max will tig steel and stainless.

I've got an older version of the Dialarc 250 and got to say that it's a great machine. I use it in my shop all the time, when doing both stick and TIG and haven't had any trouble with it. Very smooth arc and it doesn't seem to draw a lot of power, at least my monthly shop power bill doesn't seem to reflect it.

Bought mine from a guy I know for $200 and he even threw in 150' of welding cable, with stinger and ground clamp. You might say I got the machine for free.

Sure wish I could find those kinds of deals more often.

Yes, that was a deal. I agree about it being a fine machine, the only thing makes me leery is running them from home electric service sometimes. We see it all the time, what a deal on a 300 old monster type machine, the Dialarc is lighter and you might be able to skimp on 50A. I paid a hundred for my 300 synch, but I have forklift and 400A service.

Default Dialarc 250 Info

I'm no expert at this but for what its worth:

I have a newer Dialarc 250 w/o power factor correction. I love this machine! It welds like a dream when using it in the mid-range of its power capabilities. The manual says it needs a 125A breaker on 230V. Several times I've run mine at full duty cycle on a 230V/50A breaker at up to 240 DC weld amps using up to 3/16 rods and have had no issues with the input circuit. The wires in the sub-panel get slightly warm, but nothing else. I suppose if you ran it wide-open it might be too much for a 50A circuit. Just make sure your entire 50A circuit is wired with #8 AWG or larger.

BTW: If you do pick one up, think twice about the power factor correction option. It draws a lower current when welding with power factor correction, but it also draws a hefty 23A at idle! (without the PFC it draws only 2.5A at idle). That could make for expensive power bills if you have a lot of idle time. You can tell if the machine has the power factor correction by the model number. Miller can help you out with that.
    Last edited by nedster; 05-09-2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Duplicate Post