Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tube Notching

I agree with you and most others, grind it back. I think there's more people out there that either don't understand welding fully or just don't know the proper way to fit tubing, but when i do car and motorcycle suspension and frame work, i know that some one's life may depend on those welds so i take every step i can to ensure nice thick walls (the best i can anyway) and make sure that the fit-up is snug enough that i can't slide the filler rod into the gaps before welding. And i even pre-heat all my materials after fit-up and before welding for extra "good measure". Plus when you're dealing with some very out of position welds where you can't reach the foot pedal and must use lift-arc this keeps you from having to run a high enough amperage to start the puddle on cold metal which usually ends up being a tad too much heat towards the end of the bead forcing you to work faster, so preheating does make it easier as well in some instances.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

always clean up the tubing after you have notched it. I have always cleaned the adjoining tube with a scotch brite pad to eliminate any contamination of the weld. Hope this helps.
    Kenny Compton
    Cuttin,Grindin, Weldin, nutten better
    KCRacecars@yahoo.com

Thumbs up JMR tube notcher

I'm helping a friend out with his sailboat projects. We needed a good tubing notcher to complete the railings, and we decided on this one made by JMR. At first it seemed a bit pricey, but now that we've coped everything, I've forgotten about the price tag. Very nice... especially since we split the cost.

We used it with my Milwaukee 1/2" drill motor and the material notched was 1.25" x .083 wall 316 stainless steel tubing.

http://www.vansantent.com/tube_copin...nes/TN1000.htm

I chose this one because it 1) looked beefier than the other choices, 2) has a wider angle spectrum, and 3) can be clamped to the material (i.e. used in the field, if necessary, or on awkward, prebent sections.)

Worked like a champ.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder