Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Welding supercharger cases together

I've been asked to weld two 6V71 supercharger cases together (end to end) to efectively get a 12V71. The owner of them says he can couple the rotors and I only have to join the cases. My main concern would be warpage causing misalignment, which would pretty much stuff the blowers. I know I can bolt them to heavy plate while they're being welded but still have concerns. Has anyone ever done this, or seen or heard of it being done sucessfully? Do you think dowelling and bolting the cases together would be better?

dont know if this helps or not. but we weld snowmobile crankcases together. you can take a 2 cylinder engine. cut a half a cylinder off of each engine and weld them together to get a big 3 cylinder. use a steel plate on the top and bottom. tack around and then jump around and weld. what they do is weld a bead on this side then on the other side and get it all welded.

dont know how much help that is but never have to many problems with cranks.

also if you do a true job once he has it bolted down to the engine it should help eliminate twist.

he putting this on an allison engine?

An Allison would be cool, but no, its a 460 Ford. Heres a pik of the project. As a secondary thought, do people repair cracked blower housings, or are they junk when cracked?
    Attached Images Attached Images

DANG!!!
    Warning to young ladies:
    If you wear loose clothes, beware of the machinery. If you wear tight clothes, beware of the machinist.

That is one crazy *ss project!

Like mentioned before, alignment would be very critical here. I would discuss this thorougly with the person you are doing the work for and make sure that they think it will work before you start. You may also want to get some sort of signed document saying you are not liable for parts costs if things don't work out. Unfortuanetely in todays world one must always look out for himself.

If you do go for it, and things work out, make sure you post lots of pictures.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Not INTENDING to be insulting to your associate, but HOW did he come up with that idea for an induction system.....Drinking Bong Water? or Huffing Paint Fumes?

Why?......Why?.......Why?.......
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Quote Originally Posted by kelzweld View Post
    An Allison would be cool, but no, its a 460 Ford. Heres a pik of the project. As a secondary thought, do people repair cracked blower housings, or are they junk when cracked?
    Sick car! I have always wanted to buying one of those. How the **** do you see where you are going?
    Brian C.
    Turbobrian Fabrication LLc.
    Miller D165
    Miller 140
    Miller Digital Elite

"ok. maybe I'm not picturing this clearly in my head, but if you mount the rear blower backwards, won't it be spinning the wrong way, 'blowing' up through the carbs?"

That would depend on how you set up the drive to the driven. Both sets of rotors would have to go the same way. As a side note, this is an old thread and I dont remember why I said "backwards". Sorry to confuse.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpig View Post
    " As a side note, this is an old thread and I dont remember why I said "backwards". Sorry to confuse.
    Yes, an old thread, and the guy wanting it done was a time wasting dreamer. I'm sure all of you who work in this industry have come across them. As a side note, his reasoning for wanting to do the two superchargers was not so much a performance thing, as a look at me, I'm different thing.