Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some job pics

Default some job pics

hey everyone. I dont post here much but seeing a couple of people show pictures of what they do kinda got me inspired. So im gonna show some pictures of a bridge repair i did about a month ago. Quite a job i was 2 hours out of town workin on this bridge 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week for 3 1/2 weeks... not that much work i guess compared to some other poeple but still a fair bit.
    The first and second pictures are pictures as to why i was there. The expansion **** busted and started to let water through and running on the concrete erodded and rotted it so the bearing plate wasnt sitting on anything.( these pictures where taken after we jackhammered the bad concrete out and jacked the bridge to sit on temporary supports)
    The third and fourth pictures are of the shape the bearing plates where in when we got there.. out of 24 we replaced 18. THe originals where two steel plates with a copper spacer in between for them to slide on when the bridge expands/contracts or shift.
    Picture 5 is of the jacking beams we had to lift in place. Each one weighs about 400 pounds. We had to core about 96 holes through the piers to put these in place and then put 1 1/4" threaded rod through and torque to 750 ftlbs.
    Once the beams were up and in place we put in little stub columns to support the bridge after it was jacked up as shown in picture two. To lift the bridge we used 6- 100 ton jacks to lift it 5mm. Once the columns were in place we set the bridge down and started gouging the old plates off, cleaning up and setting in the new bearing plates.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

[QUOTE=swamp donkey;146114]Quite a job i was 2 hours out of town workin on this bridge 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week for 3 1/2 weeks... not that much work i guess compared to some other poeple but still a fair bit.

The third and fourth pictures are of the shape the QUOTE]

Nice job. And working 7 days a week for weeks is a killer too. I am going on 5 1/2 weeks straight now and if it wasn't for Burt in Hawaii keeping me going at work i would be nuts...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Pictures six and seven show the dis assembly of the bearing plates. WE also had to cut the old anchors out and weld new replacement ones in as shown in picture 8.
    Picture 9 is a picture of the new bearing plates we put in. I think they were made of 1 1/2 steel plate galvanized plates. The new bearings had a fabric pad sitting on the concrete and then a plate with a rubber bearing pad in the middle and another steel galvanized plate. The top plate had to be welded to the girder and picture ten is a show of one of the welds i did. They were a three pass fillet weld done with 5/32" 7018.

Here are some more random pictures... The first one is of the welder i was using. It was an old lincoln commander 400 with over 7800 hours on it and that thing lives to gouge... all day long. The third is a picture of our big torque wrench.. I was hanging off that thing and could barley get he 750 ftlbs required..
    The fourth is a pile of all the bearing plates and copper spacers.. man those were heavy to take down. The fifth is what a $65 can of spray paint looks like. This is the paint that we use to paint our welds on bridges.. when i was done i swear there was like $10 worth of paint on my gloves
    Last edited by swamp donkey; 04-14-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Last of all the randoms are some of the rebar work and concrete work we did. It turned out pretty good i thought. The fourth is just a picture of the bridge itself.. and last is a picture of the area we were working. Very beautiful scenery. So yeah thats a whole bridge overhaul in a nutshell i guess. This was very minimul though compared to some of the others ive seen. But the bridge has hold up pretty well seeing as how it was built in 1959. If theres any questions or you want to see more pictures just feel free to ask and i'll kind of hopefully answer them to my best knowledge.

And Thanks AA it was getting pretty hard being away from home for that long and it was wearing thin on me and the rest of the crew. If it wasnt for them we all would have gone nuts.
    Last edited by swamp donkey; 04-14-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Swamp Donkey,
    nice welds!!!!!!!!!! I can't see you driving home everytime 2 hours one way...I was working the 12 hour night shifts, then 1 hour drive home...did you go that EVERY day???!!! Lucky to see you still alive! Sisters dear friend fell asleep at the wheel, hit a phone pole and killed himself...

Bob, thanks for the post, now I have proof to show my wife why I was on the computer till 4-5 in the morning!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    if it wasn't for Burt in Hawaii keeping me going at work i would be nuts...Bob

You mean Bert was there jumping up and down on the bridge the whole time you were trying to weld it ?

Nice work, really enjoyed looking at all the pics. That Lincoln has to be worth its weight in gold with that many hours and still going strong. I have to ask though, I saw it was done during cold weather and I know the State or Township where the bridge is located has all kind of specs on the welding procedures as far as amperage, etc, do they allow a tolerance if the temperature gets below a certain degree and you need to add extra amperage or heat to dissplace moisture in the metal ?
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Well....SOMEBODY had to test it out, made sure the welds and the bridge held together!!!! They looked for the BIGGEST fat @$$ guy around, and the foreman said those most favorite words everyone loves to hear:
    "HEY YOU!!!"
    the rest is history........
    hey, the welds and bridge held up, didn't it???
    GOOD JOB swamp donkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Exclamation Uh Oh!!

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Nice job. And working 7 days a week for weeks is a killer too. I am going on 5 1/2 weeks straight now and if it wasn't for Bert in Hawaii keeping me going at work i would be nuts...Bob
    Bob: If you're using BERT as a reference for your sanity....... you're in trouble.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Thanks for all your positive feed back guys.
    Bert... thank god no i didnt have to drive back and forth everyday. That would be killer. They put us up in a hotel and man after a month hotel food gets kinda sickning.. i thought coming home and having mac and cheese was glorious.

As to that old lincoln... yeah shes worht her weight in something. It lives to gouge when you can get it started... it was usually -10C so beng a desil it had troubles starting. We usually had to let it warm up for half the day but once she got started we left it running all day. Now for the welding specs all we had to do for welding was keep our rods in an oven and then post and preheat the plates/ welds to get the moisture out. WE usually pre and post heat anything colder than -10C. THe only time temperature took affect was when we were jacking the bridge and putting shims in. The inspector told us that the bridge expands and contracts in temperature change slightly so when setting it down permanently we had to shim accordinly to set the bridge properly... i think i wasnt involved with that cause i was manning the hydraulic motor swithcing it from forward to reverse..