Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Gate Questions

Default Gate Questions

Hi everyone

I've been very impressed with this forum. I'm new to posting but have been reading for quite a while. Thanks to all those that contribute.

I am building two 6'x6' gate panels out of square tubing. The gates will be covered with 1"x6"x6' cedar fencing. I am planning on building a square with one diagonal tension member. In one of the panels there will also be a 3' man-door to allow access without opening the full gate. You will have to step over the bottom bar to use this door.

My question is about thickness. I am planning on using 1-1/4"x1-1/4" square tubing. Can I get away with 1/16" in thickness or do I need to go up to 1/8"? I will be using my stick welder which makes the thin stock much more difficult to work with but the weight and cost savings may be worth it.

Thanks for any feedback.

Caleb

For the part of the frame that has the hinges and the posts, I tend to use a thicker wall: then use a thinner wall for the rest of the frame. How are you attaching the wood? Might need a thicker wall for that? cat

If you're going to stick weld it, I'd go with the heavier material. Depending on your ability, what you save in dollars will be nothing compared to what you will pay in aggravation when stick welding the 16 ga. How about .090?
    Try welding some scrap 16 ga. and see how it goes... therein will lie your answer.

Good luck. Post some pics when you're done.

Default Gates

Caleb,

I just did a very similar gate. I ended up going with
    2X2X1/8" Sq. tubing & put gussetts in all corners. The gates are very sturdy. I can stand on the ends and there is no flex on them at all as it swings open. I've attached some pictures to see.

Keep in mind, I'm no engineer or fence builder
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Gates Thank You

Thank you all

You are great. I appreciate the feedback. Gasrat, nice work on the gate. Thanks for the pics. That is the same look I'm going for. I like the way you attached the slats to the gate. Much better than my original plan.

Caleb, looking forward to seeing the final result.

Yeah Gasrat, nice job on the gates.

Very nice looking gate...

you could probably get away with 1/16 stock, but I think it would be much easier to stick with 1/8.

welding on 1/16 with a stick welder would be a pain.
    Read or submit reviews of Lincoln, Hobart and Miller Welders atThe Welder Shop.