Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default cheap bench mount shears...worth it?

Does anybody use one of these cheap shears?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9556_200309556

I'm looking for a bench mount shear for cutting round bar and some flat mild steel. I'm not looking for a throatless shear for doing any sheet metal, I just want to be able to quickly cut 3/16" stock.

Are these a waste of money? I'm afraid the first time I try to cut a piece roundbar it's going to leave a dent in the blades. Any experience you guys have would be helpful.

I've been thinking about getting one also. I am looking at the Enco model.
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=130-5700
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

I have had the ENCO 8" model for about 6 years and have been happy with it. You don't cut round with the blade edge.........there is a hole to
    put the round and cut. What's odd is the ENCO model use to be over $200 and then one day I saw it in a flyer for about $76 and got it. Well worth the money. They didn't carry replacement blades at the time but for the lower price, just get another if you wear it out.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

I have a 6" version - I find it works great, but they claim it will cut 1/4" bar stock. You must have to weigh a lot more than I do, cause I was hanging on it and it wasn't cutting. For 3/16 and under - works like a charm, and a lot faster and cleaner than a zip wheel. Mine gets a lot of use. Think I paid $49 on sale.

Thanks for the info guys. I didn't even know Enco had one (i didn't think to check).
    Monte, you said you have the 8" and Big_Eddy the 6"; would it be worth it to get the larger 12"? The only reason I ask is if you think it would have a bit more leverage for cutting? I really wouldn't need the 12" otherwise.
    Thanks for the responses.

You will not be able to cut the full thickness at the full length of the blades. I can cut 2" x 3/16" no problem. If you need to cut 12" then get that one. I have other ways to cut thin plate. They only cut straight. Don't expect it to
    cut the curves like a Beverly shear. Harbor freight has a Beverly shear clone that is cheap and works well.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

I don't want it to cut curves or anything like that. 2"x3/16" is about what I would want to cut. I guess i'll be waiting for a sale
    Thanks Monte!

I wish I had bought the 12" version. I have used it for a lot of 20 gauge and under material, and I always seem to want to cut something just a little wider than the blade. You can make a 6 inch cut then slide the piece back a bit to get to about 9", but it's always just that little bit too short for what I need.

I had mine mounted with the back about 3" from the wall. I need to move it forward a bit to allow for the workpiece to slide back just a bit further. (Plus I need to make my mount a bit stronger - I ripped the corner off my plywood bench top leaning on it one day.)

Thanks for all the info guys. I went ahead and bought the 8" version. It wasn't on sale but I had a free shipping code so it was about $80.

Big_Eddy, thanks for the advice for mounting and cutting, i will keep that in mind.

Thanks again guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Eddy View Post
    I wish I had bought the 12" version. I have used it for a lot of 20 gauge and under material, and I always seem to want to cut something just a little wider than the blade. You can make a 6 inch cut then slide the piece back a bit to get to about 9", but it's always just that little bit too short for what I need.
    I was under the impression that you can make endless strait cuts with them. Is it the wall behind it stopping you from getting more than 9" or does the machine not allow a deeper cut?
    Quote Originally Posted by dabeldesign View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. I went ahead and bought the 8" version. It wasn't on sale but I had a free shipping code so it was about $80.
    Who did you end up buying it from?
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron