Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Very nice work Chris. You have come a long way and should be very proud.

Quote Originally Posted by KB Fabrications View Post
    Very nice work Chris. You have come a long way and should be very proud.
    Thanks, man.

Building blocks.

My back is getting tired of heavy metal, though, so I'm thinking of making everything from here on out from Aluminium.
    ... and maybe carbon fibre.

Quote Originally Posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
    Thanks, man.

Building blocks.

My back is getting tired of heavy metal, though, so I'm thinking of making everything from here on out from Aluminium.
    ... and maybe carbon fibre.
    WOW, COOL!!! Have you tried those new carbon fibre filler rods yet???
    THEY'RE THE BOMB!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    Nice work......
    Thanks dude.

Quote Originally Posted by framescr8pintoy View Post
    what was it finished with? or was it left bare metal?
    We chose cor-ten so it would just weather in the elements along the California coastline. We did line all the interior surfaces with some gnarly stuff I refer to as "the Black Oil." All of the outside corner welds were ground smooth, so they're shiny for a little while until they oxidize and blend in with the rest.

Although we often do it, I don't like to paint our projects. It inevitably scratches, chips, or otherwise wears away... nothing lasts forever. Customers always wonder why their expensive patio furniture looks so dirty and worn after a few months. I tell them to park their $120,000 car outside under a tree for a few months .... get the idea?

I'm venting a little here, but my attitude is sometimes like: "It's steel... it rusts."

I've even been know to say, "It's stainless steel. It rusts... it stains."

Cheers.
    Last edited by chrisgay@sbcglo; 04-17-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Chris,
    the bench...sit,stay,heal...powdercoat?
    I'm not late...

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Chris,
    the bench...sit,stay,heal...powdercoat?
    Nope. I sprayed it. Cut out some stencils.

I'll post some pics of that if I can dig them up. That was one project I documented fairly well.

Funny you should ask... I remember when we delivered it to the site, a few of my local contemporaries (read: competitors) just happened to be there. They casually checked it out and asked me where I got it powder coated.
    I have to say the paint job came out pretty slick... but once again, nothing lasts forever. If I were to do it again, I'd try something different... maybe stainless, but then it would cost a bajillion dollars just in material.

that would be cool to see Tried to get a closeup of it, the gray looked like powdercoat...You should have told the guy, yeah, it is

I just priced out a 4' x 10' sheet of 14 gauge 316 SS. It only cost $1,500
    YIKES!!!!!
    I'm not late...

Chris,

Too bad you guys are in San Diego or I'd be clamoring at your door for a job. After getting out the the dec. concrete business, I have been trying to start something doing interesting metal projects (i.e. not fences, or anything normal) as I'm an artist through and through.

AMAZING stuff BTW. When I do finally get something rolling in LA, I'll be glad to NOT be competing against you.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

Default thanks dude

Quote Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post
    Chris,

Too bad you guys are in San Diego or I'd be clamoring at your door for a job. After getting out the the dec. concrete business, I have been trying to start something doing interesting metal projects (i.e. not fences, or anything normal) as I'm an artist through and through.

AMAZING stuff BTW. When I do finally get something rolling in LA, I'll be glad to NOT be competing against you.
    Oh, I'm everywhere.

Nah, it's a big world and like I said, we're all making different kinds of shoes so there's room for everyone.

Thanks for the compliment.

I checked out your Concreature stuff a while back and figured you did most of the metal stuff, too. Looky good! Now get yeself a MIG welder to compliment that Maxstar!

Actually, I DO need some help. I've been chillin' for about 3.5 months with broken ribs/jacked-upped-back from a car accident. But I somehow managed to keep banking up jobs for the future (I consider myself lucky). Send me a PM if you find yourself in SD.