Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default cor-ten fountain

Time to kill so I thought I'd share some pics of a fountain/basin we did a while back. The basin was 1/4" material, while the cascade, or chase, was 3/16".
    For some reason I thought it a good idear to stick weld this thing together using the appropriate weathering electrode. I'm no stick weldor, but I'm willing to learn. I welded the entire inside seams of the basin, which was about 18' long and 16" wide. I used a Maxstar 200DX for this project. Sweet machine.

1. material shows up.
    2.-5. We worked from a scribe off the wall at the site. It had an irregular curvature to it... of course. Plasma cut the bottom from a template and started tacking the sides up. We also cobbled together a long platform on which to build this thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1-5. Gettin' er done. Burnin' it in.
    Sure is smokey.

Default plasma

The top of the cascade had a wave profile, so JC diligently cut it out using a pattern. We have a Spectrum 701 in the shop. It's the only plasma cutter I've used, so I don't know how it compares to others.

Default For KB

Now, before KB trips a breaker when he's ampin' out wondering why there are no pics of the WELDS... here are a couple.
    We made the cleats to hang the chase from some 3/8 x 2 stainless 304 bar we had kickin' around. I decided to TIG these for no particular reason. I then used a 309 rod and switched back to stick to weld the cleats supports to the back of the chase.

I may be no KB or Engloid, but I'm finding my way.

1 and 2. GTAW for the cleats.
    3. SMAW to the backside.
    4. Shimmy into place. Heavy metal.
    5. Just add water.

Thanks for looking.

Hats off to all the stick weldors.
    Last edited by chrisgay@sbcglo; 04-16-2008 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
    The top of the cascade had a wave profile, so JC diligently cut it out using a pattern. We have a Spectrum 701 in the shop. It's the only plasma cutter I've used, so I don't know how it compares to others.
    Chris, 2nd shot on this post, how did you bend the metal like that?
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

WOW!!! 'cept for that left corner having a little space, the rest of it looks like a machine did it!!!! I'm sure KB and Engloid would be proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Chris, 2nd shot on this post, how did you bend the metal like that?
    Bert, that bend is accomplished on a large hydraulic press brake. The machine required to do that kind of forming is too much machine for my outfit, so I plan ahead and outsource all of our heavier forming.

If you like that bend, you'll love these. I had these formed out of 3/8" material. Due to the geometry, we couldn't form it all from one piece, so I had to weld on the bottom to create last bend. Heavy metal, dude. I made two of these about seven years ago for a hotel in my area.

wow, I didn't know if it was that was a brake that did it or what. So long I had my doubts.....
    Bench, true form...simple, yet powerfull....priceless...
    I'm not late...

Nice work......

what was it finished with? or was it left bare metal?