Thread: Ss Question

Default Ss Question

Im Looking To Make A New Grill Grate For My Barbq
    To Cook On Out Of Ss Round Bar
    Is There Any Special Grade Or Type I Should Be Looking For
    For This Application Since I Will Be Eating From It
    And What Type Of Wire And Gas Would I Need For My Mm210
    Thanks To All Who Reply

i been thinking of doing the same thing, seems like i always have to spend 15min. with a whire wheel on a drill to get all the rust off befor grilling. thought about getting a new rack but that would just be doing the same thing in a few wekks at best.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

i dont know how it would work out for eating but u could use galvanised which would help with the rust. ive been thinkin about the same thing. ive also thought about making one of those fire pit tables like at home depot except without the 200$ + proce tag.
    welding...its awsome

galvy puts off a poisonus gas when heated, not a good choice for cooking on. its bad enough to weld it.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default SS Grill....

Hey MBDave,
    I have made several dozen SS grills for folks and you will get good results with 1/4" dia rod in most any grade of stainless. Your best wire will be ER308L .035 with either 90/10(AR/CO2) or 100% AR. I made a jig with slots to lay the rods into large enough so I can make any size grill I need by just adding the number of rods to get the proper length & width. The slots are spaced at 3/4" C/L. Hope I gave you some ideas to work with...Good Luck...Denny

i knew galvy was bad to weld on cause weve got a junkload we need to get red of but didnt know a grill would heat it that much. next idea

I made a jig with slots to lay the rods into large enough so I can make any size grill I need by just adding the number of rods to get the proper length & width. The slots are spaced at 3/4" C/L

yorkiepap
    Do you by chance have a pic of your jig and one of your grills, sounds interesting. Did you mig or tig them?

Thumbs up

I made one too out of stainless and is working great. Hardly any clean up and no rust. I tig'd the one I made and used 3/8" at 3/4" centered. 1/4" would be cheaper though and would do great too. Now I just need to make myself one.

Galvanized would be not be good....very bad
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

I agree with yorkiepap, use 1/4" or 5/16" 308 or 309 stainless rods. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Talking

300 series stainless can go all the way up to 880 degrees opperating temp., unless it's a stabalized grade. When it passes 880 deg. carbide precipitation will occur.