Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default overhead lift

for what it's worth, i made a lift for my meager shop. it's held up well lifting buckets as large as the 48" for the 325 cat. i made it about a foot wider than my trailer but the height limitations in the shop i'm in now make it a tight lift for bigger stuff. when i build a bigger shop i'll have a higher cieling and i'll just cut the beam off and add a couple of feet to the posts.

if i knew then what i know now i would have joined the beam pieces at a 45 deg angle or a step in either one, but like i said, it's held up fine. besides i NEVER get under anything lifted for any reason.

if you're interested, i can get you some measurements and a beam size.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1 BEST 6 Y/O HELPER IN THE WORLD
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    LOTS OF HAMMERS MISC SIZES
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    SOME GOOD COMMON SENSE (I THINK)
    TRACTOR WITH NEW HEAVY DUTY LIFT POLE -- FIND MY THREAD
    6 GOATS, 1 DOG, 1 DONKEY...
    ON AND ON AND ON...

Quote Originally Posted by grnxrymnky View Post
    if i knew then what i know now i would have joined the beam pieces at a 45 deg angle or a step in either one, but like i said, it's held up fine. besides i NEVER get under anything lifted for any reason.
    I beam is welded like that everyday in bridge crane manufacture.
    Splice plate like you added to the bottom is also used on top and the weld is only ground away on the flange. so a regular butt joint is fine.

the only critique I have on your lift is the size of the gussets. A little small, but I also don't know the capacity of the hoist system.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com