Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

at that thickness i would go 100% helium. thats way more aluminum than that welder should be doing. asking it to go into spry is also asking alot, you realy need the MM210 to pull that one off properly but if you must try then 100% helium would be your best bet, get all the heat you can.
    if it were me i would farm out the weld part to some one with a good sized TIG unit, figure that expense into the bid you make for the job.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default No cracks

Thanks for the input. I used more preheat (300 deg+), started off with max voltage and wire speed of 60, and got it down to 75 voltage and 45 wire speed as the heat built up. Set the argon @ 30 CFH, and I paid more attention to wind and drafts. The beads were small (3/16 - 1/4) but required little more than wire brushing between passes. The setup was alot more difficult than I'm accustomed to but, I was asking alot of my little machine. I shot the temperature of the 180 with an infared thermometer several times and it never got over 110 deg f with a duty cycle of 25%. I also kept the temperature on my work less than 450 deg f. Took longer but, good welds, no cracks, and kept the 180 running nice and cool.

Charles
    Charles Estes
    Lara LLC

Millermatic 180
    SGA100
    3035 Spoolmate
    Thunderbolt XL AC/DC

Chicago Electric 40 amp Digital Inverter Plasma Cutter

Default New 302 Trailblazer

Well, my customer liked the work and gave me an increase in scope so off to the local welding store I went and bought me a new 302 Trailblazer, a 30A spoolgun, and of couse the controller. Got about 3 additional weeks of work out of my strut job but it was tedious running all those tiny little passes wth my Millermatic 180 & 3035 spool gun. Can't wait to try out the trailblazer.
    Charles Estes
    Lara LLC

Millermatic 180
    SGA100
    3035 Spoolmate
    Thunderbolt XL AC/DC

Chicago Electric 40 amp Digital Inverter Plasma Cutter