Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Smile Too much metal for too small a machine?

I have a Millermatic 180 and a SGA100 with a 3035 spoolmate gun. I'm having trouble getting the wire speed and voltage adjusted correctly for an aluminum project I'm doing. I'm welding 1 in aluminum plate to 1 inch thick aluminum pipe. The plate is beveled to 45 deg as I require 100% penetration. I've preheated to 240-250 deg f. My wire is 0.30 4043, the voltage is set @ 80-100, and the wirespeed is set @ 50-55. My gas is 100% Argon set @ 30 CFH. My problem is maintaining spray transfer while pushing. When pulling, it isn't a problem. I just leave a dirty bead which requires much more grinding prior to the next pass. When I push, I get a great deal of spatter and I can't stay in spray transfer mode; It goes into short circuit transfer and spatters terribly which requires even more grinder work. I realize I have too small a machine for this job, but I though I could get by with multiple passes, careful grinding, and cleaning between passes. BTW, Miller doesn't give the IPM for the SGA100 in any of their literature so I can only guess what my current is. I used the recommended settings from the SGA100 manual for 1/4 thick aluminum. I've considered going to an argon/helium mix to reduce my voltage drop but I'm only stabbing in the dark at this point. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by aa5gp; 06-03-2007 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Typo

Aluminum requires more heat than steel. You have too much aluminum for that machine, IMO. What is the wall-thickness of the pipe?

Smile Wall thickness

The pipe is 12 in long, 4-1/2 OD, with a wall thickness of 1in. The flatbar I'm affixing is 6 in wide and 6 in long.

Thanks...

Wow, that piece is going to get seriously hot while welding that thickness. The heat has no where to sink to.

I can't address whether or not warping is going to be a problem. That thickness for that short is a rare project.

Curiosity demands asking what's it for?

Do you have pieces to practice other settings with, or does this have to be perfect the first time?

Smile It gets hot

It got hot. I would turn down the voltage and wirespeed as it heated up. The tubes are marine strut bearing barrels (Johnson Duramax cutlass bearings). for an aluminum hulled boat. I had two of them to fabricate and I worked on them for several days. Each side required approximately 35 passes to fillet completely. I have them complete now and have since bored them to spec and pressed the bearings in. I was just confused as to why I had so much trouble maintaining spray transfer while pushing.

Charles
    Charles Estes
    Lara LLC

Millermatic 180
    SGA100
    3035 Spoolmate
    Thunderbolt XL AC/DC

Chicago Electric 40 amp Digital Inverter Plasma Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by aa5gp View Post
    ...I have them complete now ...
    So let's see 'em!