Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,842

    Default

    Or just say "ornamental plate or flange"

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    375

    Default

    BaddOOSS,

    I see you've got quite the anvil collection. Nice. I'm not much of an anvil guy, but I am a certifiable tool junkie... which can be a good thing and a bad thing. Mostly a good thing. I think most here would agree.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    375

    Default hey bert

    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    oh, and how did you "plant" those feet in the resturaunt? I didn't see any lag bolts???
    Hi Bert,

    We laid out the uprights for the railing on the slab before the tile went in.
    If I remember correctly, the uprights on the railing were 3/8 x 2 flat bar.
    We probably had the holes cored to 3" diameter so we can just pour the railing in place. This is a clean way to do it, you just have to make sure nobody monkeys with it while it's setting, as you're provisions for levelling are literally "set in stone." The escutcheons- excuse me, ornamental cover plates- were also from 3/8" material, slotted to fit over the 3/8" x 2 balusters. So... no bolts.

    When you do thing this way, there's always that nagging feeling of "I sure hope I welded this thing together correctly to fit the cored hole pattern..."
    Usually it works out.... usually.

    Measure twice. Don't lose your measurements. I'm horrible and often find key measurements on the side of a cardboard box, napkin, back of my hand. Yikes.

    Thanks for the interest.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    2,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
    Hi Bert,

    We laid out the uprights for the railing on the slab before the tile went in.
    If I remember correctly, the uprights on the railing were 3/8 x 2 flat bar.
    We probably had the holes cored to 3" diameter so we can just pour the railing in place. This is a clean way to do it, you just have to make sure nobody monkeys with it while it's setting, as you're provisions for levelling are literally "set in stone." The escutcheons- excuse me, ornamental cover plates- were also from 3/8" material, slotted to fit over the 3/8" x 2 balusters. So... no bolts.

    When you do thing this way, there's always that nagging feeling of "I sure hope I welded this thing together correctly to fit the cored hole pattern..."
    Usually it works out.... usually.

    Measure twice. Don't lose your measurements. I'm horrible and often find key measurements on the side of a cardboard box, napkin, back of my hand. Yikes.

    Thanks for the interest.
    Chris, ok...before the railing is set in "stone", do you put the escutcheons in, then set the railing in the hole? then you tile over, then the escutcheons are what...epoxied down onto the tile?
    Sorry for being a dummy about this. Never seen it done before..also, the scrollwork? custom made? or bought?
    thanks Chris!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Chris, ok...before the railing is set in "stone", do you put the escutcheons in, then set the railing in the hole? then you tile over, then the escutcheons are what...epoxied down onto the tile?
    Sorry for being a dummy about this. Never seen it done before..also, the scrollwork? custom made? or bought?
    thanks Chris!!!!!!!!!!

    Escutcheons are slipped on the railing before it is set. They can be glued down if you like. Tile went in before railing. They left our holes open for us.

    Scroll work was cut with a water jet to my design. We had lots of time on the machine and it was not cheap.
    The pattern on the fixture was cut in .050 aluminum. There were 4 sheets of 4' x 10'.

    The railing was cut from 3/8" mild steel.

    I out-source this cutting and when they hit me with the bill, it hit HARD.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    2,469

    Default

    THANKS CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You didn't get that waterjet quote before you started/put the bid out?
    Last edited by Bert; 04-16-2008 at 03:55 AM.
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    THANKS CHRIS)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You didn't get that waterjet quote before you started/put the bid out?

    I was in the ballpark, but sometimes it still hurts even when you know it's coming.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    2,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
    I was in the ballpark, but sometimes it still hurts even when you know it's coming.
    Don't I know it!!! I'm like..."Oh look! I just made another charitable contribution!!!"
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.