Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Am I missing something,, but wouldn't a bigger wire carry more current giving more heat and allowing for slower speed or doesn't the V go high enough? I am confused already this morning.

Yes Cary,.... but the wire speed is quite limited. A snail crawls faster than the wfs at max. It wont keep up with the voltage, hence the arc lenth gets too great.
    Warning to young ladies:
    If you wear loose clothes, beware of the machinery. If you wear tight clothes, beware of the machinist.

Quote Originally Posted by BBchevy396 View Post
    Yes Cary,.... but the wire speed is quite limited. A snail crawls faster than the wfs at max. It wont keep up with the voltage, hence the arc lenth gets too great.
    Sooo....are we saying that if you had a spoolgun that would run .047 the problem would be solved?

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    Sooo....are we saying that if you had a spoolgun that would run .047 the problem would be solved?
    Sweeeeeet!!! I'll get right on drilling out some tips.

Quote Originally Posted by KB Fabrications View Post
    Oh ..and don't forget machining the drive rollers

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Btw did you buy one of these???

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Oh ..and don't forget machining the drive rollers
    Dammit!!! I'll get right on that too.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing
    Btw did you buy one of these???
    Uhmmmm, yes. But I'm having a hard time figgering out how to make it work. Mebbe I'll make a thread asking how I should set things up for welding aluminum and steel.
    Last edited by KB Fabrications; 04-14-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Dammit!!! I'll get right on that too.

Uhmmmm, yes. But I'm having a hard time figgering out how to make it work. Mebbe I'll make a thread asking how I should set things up for welding aluminum and steel.

Actually YOU should start a thread telling us how to set up for aluminum and steel and stainless!!!cool:
    But that's prolly asking a little much

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Default .035 aluminum wire...

Installed the .035 wire today and I could weld the 1/4 plate with ease with no preheat. Miller recommended the setting for 1/4" material at 9 for voltage and 100 for wire speed. I found that 8 for voltage and 100 for wire speed was perfect for me.

If I had bought one of these machines and needed to pre-heat to weld 1/4" I would be VERY dissapointed with my purchase unless he is in the middle of some huge part. If he's talking about say something made out of 1/4" x 2" bar stock it should do that ok I would think

If I had bought one of these machines and penetration did not increase GREATLY with pre-heat on 1/4" I would either be getting it checked out or learn what in the heck I did NOT understand!! If either didn't work I would certainly send it down the road! Not having enuff power to do the job is the most frustrating thing about so many newer machines out there. I'd be calling MILLER before the sun set
    The HH210 is rated for the same thicknesses as the PP+ but everybody on the Hobart Board praises its capability.
    What voltage are you running on anyhow????

Are you saying that your Passport + will NOT weld 1/4" aluminum set at max even with pre-heat and taking your sweet time welding it???
    I don't see much need for a machine you would have to LOOK for jobs it might handle once in a while.
    i

Actually YOU should start a thread telling us how to set up for aluminum and steel and stainless!!!cool:
    But that's prolly asking a little much
    No, it wouldn't be asking too much. In fact, I thought after I read the manual, and re-read it several times, I would do an in depth review on the unit. It may take a bit as the manual is quite lengthy and very technical in nature so I will ask for your patience.