Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default more process

1. The welding machines we used were: a Passport for the frame, and a Maxstar 200DX for the stainless rod around the bar shelf. Small welders... big light.

I had just purchased the Passport, and this was a great job for it. Its small footprint really shined as we could place it anywhere we wanted while we climbed all over this birdcage. Overall I've been very pleased with this machine and it has become the "go-to" MIG unit around here. I do have a few minor gripes about it, but it's a pretty "mad-tight" little welding machine.

2. through 5.: frame coming together, including the "ribs."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chrisgay@sbcglo; 04-15-2008 at 04:45 PM.

1. Backtracking a litte in my time-line, JC is checking that all three layers will match up. It took a lot of pushing and pulling to get the shape to match the layout at the job site.

2. Templates for the shelves, which were fabricated from 1" thick cast resin panels. These were heavy as all heck, and we cut them on a 30" bandsaw.

3. Things can get messy when you're chasing down a deadline.

4. Loaded.

5. I love it when a plan comes together.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dang, man,

You are a different caliber then I am.

Very well executed.
    Dang good job all around,
    Nice to be able to work with tour friends and your father, I know, great.

Again, good job.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Quote Originally Posted by tnjind View Post
    Dang, man,

You are a different caliber then I am.

I'ts probably safe to say that I'm just... different than you are.

Very well executed.
    Dang good job all around,

Thanks again. Been at it for a while.

Nice to be able to work with tour friends and your father, I know, great.
    Can't beat it. I feel privileged. Dad's an old-school race car guy, so when he comes by I try to pretend I know what I'm doing. Plus he's probably shown me one or two tricks now and again.

Default tnjind

Hey tnjind,

What kinds of things are you welding up in Indiana?

Default Very Impressive!

I was trolling the message boards today when I ran across your pics. I think I nearly choked! Beautiful, beautiful work! My compliments to you and your team!

Some of the work is on such a large scale, how big of a shop/studio do you run?

Smile Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I was trolling the message boards today when I ran across your pics. I think I nearly choked! Beautiful, beautiful work! My compliments to you and your team!

Some of the work is on such a large scale, how big of a shop/studio do you run?
    Admin, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.

Well, believe it or not, we are usually two , sometimes three, and maybe they'll be a handful of us if we need the bodies for an afternoon. We'll usually be running two or three jobs, sometimes more, in various stages of development, at any given time. Pretty much everything gets fabricated under an 800 s.f. shelter. This space includes all the necessary equipment, much of which is on wheels, and currently includes a whopping 90 pounds of Miller welders (1 Passport, and 1 Maxstar 200DX). There's a Dynasty 200DX kickin' around here too, but it's a friend's and I only use it to weld up Aluminum for his fancy boat projects. It pretty much lives under a cover the rest of the time. An outdoor shop lends to some surface rust on machinery, which we have to stay on top of, but working in the fresh air and natural light year-round has spoiled me. I have amassed quite a collection of old, heavy, cast machinery. It's safe to say that I like my machinery old and my welders new(er). In addition to all the metalworking equipment, I've a cr@pload of woodworking tools and equipment. I've sold off a few pieces over the years, but I can honestly say we use about everything at one point or another. This kind of work is all about TIME. Things take time. We are fast at what we do, but as many of you know, making things by hand takes a lot of time.
    We don't have a lot of production type tools, i.e. power shears, press brakes, there's not even a cold-saw right now. Just a couple of small welders, some levels, some squares, and many many many many hand-tools. Everyone is making their own kind of shoes, I'm just making mine the way I know how.

Thanks again. I'll try to post pics of the shop space soon. I do have a peripheral involvement in motorsports through my father, so I occassionally get to work on some fast cars and have been around them my whole life... I may post some racing car pics on the motorsports board, too, for the car guys.