Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: smokers

Default smokers

does anyone have a plan or blue prints on a "STEAM ENGINE LOOKING" SMOKER?

Not specifically but you've got me thinking....

I can see the smoke stack simple enough. I think that it would need to be a door in the middle of the tank as opposed to the whole side or top of the tank opening. I can see the engineers cab as a shelf area and storage with a roof. The wheels might be a problem to find as is, but I can see building them with a round plate and a ring roller. Some pipe for the pistons and drive bars... I keep wanting to load the smoker thru the fire box of the cab which woud get in the way of a shelf and storage. A caol car attached might give you a BBQ cart with enclosed storage underneath. IT could be removeable so it can be used away from the grill.

I think you need to decide what time frame the engine needs to come from. The old west wood burners would be neat, and a 55 gal drum would work well. But I personally prefer the iconic age of coal steam around 1900-1940. You would need a longer tank, say a large propane tank as opposed to a 55 gal drum to get the proportions right. 2 55 gal drums might work and give you 2 cooking areas. The propane tank with the round front would make a great streemliner, art deco look. I can see a Coors Silver Bullet train now.

I'll have to sit down at the drafting table and play a bit.

Oh I am going to so kill you for suggesting this. I doubt I'll manage to get any more work done today.

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Not specifically but you've got me thinking....

I can see the smoke stack simple enough. I think that it would need to be a door in the middle of the tank as opposed to the whole side or top of the tank opening. I can see the engineers cab as a shelf area and storage with a roof. The wheels might be a problem to find as is, but I can see building them with a round plate and a ring roller. Some pipe for the pistons and drive bars... I keep wanting to load the smoker thru the fire box of the cab which woud get in the way of a shelf and storage. A caol car attached might give you a BBQ cart with enclosed storage underneath. IT could be removeable so it can be used away from the grill.

I think you need to decide what time frame the engine needs to come from. The old west wood burners would be neat, and a 55 gal drum would work well. But I personally prefer the iconic age of coal steam around 1900-1940. You would need a longer tank, say a large propane tank as opposed to a 55 gal drum to get the proportions right. 2 55 gal drums might work and give you 2 cooking areas. The propane tank with the round front would make a great streemliner, art deco look. I can see a Coors Silver Bullet train now.

I'll have to sit down at the drafting table and play a bit.

Oh I am going to so kill you for suggesting this. I doubt I'll manage to get any more work done today.
    good thinking Ive been "THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR 10 YRS OR SO"have seen about 3 or 4 but not close enough to get dims also thought about getting dims from the zoo kiddie train in FORT WORTH where Im from but propane tank sounds good Im the type to make everything from scratch
    thanks again SNUNEZ

You mean like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default smoker

yep like that looks good got any plans? or sketches?

no plans no sketches, this smoker is about a half block from my house. If you like i will try to get some dimensions and closer pics. I did not build this smoker but i will get all the info on it for ya i can.