Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parts tumbler

Quote Originally Posted by welderman23 View Post
    careful you might end up calling some bondage place
    WOW!! Looks like you and Anti-Gmaw have something in common after all !!! (same mindset)
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    WOW!! Looks like you and Anti-Gmaw have something in common after all !!! (same mindset)
    Hey! Are you waching through my windows!?!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FATFAB View Post
    And the tumbling parts are quiet?

Sorry just had to ask.
    No, but why make it any louder than neccesary?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
    Hey! Are you waching through my windows!?!
    Nope, just heard the ambulance, poked my head out, and saw them stopping at your house...Cops said you were screaming, then you passed out unconcious...
    I came over and told the cops, don't bother...its normal for him
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by troye View Post
    I am in the process of building a parts tumbler measuring 36" long by 12" diameter. It will be powdered by a gas engine and chain driven, what I need is the drive sproket and driven sproket sizes.
    I would appreciate any help.

Troye
    You need a gear box or something because a direct drive chain or belt would be one heck of a large driven gear. if you can get the motor to run @2000 rpm under load then a 10:1 ratio would be 200 rpm I'd say thats a wee bit fast. I would guess about 100 to 150 rpm would be fine.
    here's the formula
    RPM of motor / desired RPM of tumbler = ratio between drive and driven unit.
    2000/150=13.3333...
    So if you have a 3" gear on the motor you would need a gear 13.333 times larger on the tumbler or about 40" This is why I say a gear box. Worm drives start at 10:1 and go up from there.

Have you thought of using a vibe set up
    Motor could power this at full RPM just set up a counter weight and adjust to get desired effect.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Quote Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
    You need a gear box or something because a direct drive chain or belt would be one heck of a large driven gear. if you can get the motor to run @2000 rpm under load then a 10:1 ratio would be 200 rpm I'd say thats a wee bit fast. I would guess about 100 to 150 rpm would be fine.
    here's the formula
    RPM of motor / desired RPM of tumbler = ratio between drive and driven unit.
    2000/150=13.3333...
    So if you have a 3" gear on the motor you would need a gear 13.333 times larger on the tumbler or about 40" This is why I say a gear box. Worm drives start at 10:1 and go up from there.
    Could he take the "final drive ratio" into consideration? If it is a 12 inch drum and it is sitting on 4 inch drive rollers [just to start someplace], then it would appear as though he has 3:1 there. Assuming the overall ratio would need to be 13.333:1 - or greater, then a 5:1 ratio between the motor and the drive roller would seem to get about 15:1 overall. And the 5:1 at the motor might be easier to come by - larger motor pully and smaller driven pully than the 13:1 would require.

Or am I missing a salient point?

Arvid
    Last edited by arvidj; 04-13-2008 at 07:35 AM.

Could you use the drum itself as the driven pulley?
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

If you try to turn an unbalanced drum at 150-200 rpm, it better be nailed down real good. I'd expect the media and parts to cling to the outside walls due to outward forces. Not much cleaning action that way.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

yes you could use the drum as part of the gearing you know with a belt drive or just dead weight on rollers and yes the difference between the drum and rollers would be your final drive ratio.

Monte
    150 to 200 rpm is slow it's about as fast as a home clothes dryer. Granted the slower the better in terms of safety but you still want the parts and medial to roll up the wall of the drum and fall over on itself better yet get a VFD and a three phase motor then just dial in the frequency you desire to get the correct speed.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Quote Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
    yes you could use the drum as part of the gearing you know with a belt drive or just dead weight on rollers and yes the difference between the drum and rollers would be your final drive ratio.

Monte
    150 to 200 rpm is slow it's about as fast as a home clothes dryer. Granted the slower the better in terms of safety but you still want the parts and medial to roll up the wall of the drum and fall over on itself better yet get a VFD and a three phase motor then just dial in the frequency you desire to get the correct speed.
    I don't know what kind of dryer you have but mine travels at 48 rpm. Now if I
    increase the speed times 3-4 times, the clothes would be stuck to the drum walls.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge