Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Generator Question

I have a Coleman 5000 watt generator that I use occasionally. The salesman at a local lawn and garden equipment sales store told me that my generator will only put out 1/2 of it's claimed output after running for thirty minutes. Is this true or is he just trying to sell me a new generator?
    Thanks,
    Nick

Did he load test it, to come up with that conclusion? Sounds like he's working on commission, and needs sales.
    Warning to young ladies:
    If you wear loose clothes, beware of the machinery. If you wear tight clothes, beware of the machinist.

Never heard of that before- maybe he misread the specs about fuel consumption

"Runs up to 11 hours @ 50% load"

I've heard of this before, it's called crapola.......something to do with science
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Most generators such as the Coleman Powermate that you have, have a Max Load and Continuous Load. Also, if you are wanting to get the most Fuel Efficient and longest run time, there is another load, generally around 50% of Rated Continuous Load.

The Max Load, generally related to Inrush Current and Max Amp Draw of the load being run, is listed for a short time interval, such as the 30 Minutes mentioned by the lawn equipment guy. The Continuous Load is generally the load that can be sustained for an extended period of time. However, for MAX RUN TIME, it is generally recommended to only run at 50% of Rated Continuous Load.

An Example I have seen, 5000 Watt Generator. Max (Peak) Load (30 Minutes) 5500 to 6250 Watts, depending on the power windings. Max Continuous Load, 4000 to 5000 Watts, depending on windings. Max Run Time Load, 2000 to 2500 Watts, also depending on winding.

For what your generator is actually rated at, consult the Owners Manual or the Manufacturers Website for your particular model. But it also sounds like the sales guy, doesn't know what he is talking about.

At an ARRL Field Day event I helped run with an Amateur Radio Club in central TX, we ran the 4 transmitter setup and associated fans, power supplies, lights, and other comforts we needed off of a Miller Big 40 Rental Generator/Welder. It had a 10 Gallon Diesel Tank and we did put 5 Gallons of Diesel in the unit during the night. For the 24 Hour event, it did run 23 hours before shutting down because of low fuel. Had the welder had be setting level and not on the slope it was on, it would have made the full 24 hours. It had no load on it at all, probably about 1800W max on the 120V plugs.
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

The saleman actually said that the Honda generators loose about 10% after thirty minutes and the Coleman looses 50% after thirty minutes. Without trying to sound biased, they are a Honda dealer.