Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quote Originally Posted by mooseye View Post
    One of the beauties of stick welding is that you can weld threw all kinds of crap including plating. It would be hard to think of anything that you cannot stick weld. Not to say that it will be as nice looking as tig or mig every time, but it is definatly the most versital and you can use it in wind,rain,snow what ever.
    Thank you.

I was trying to emphasize this a while back in this thread.
    As far as looks go... some of the tidiest welding I've seen was done by accomplished stick weldors...
    ...Just check out Flangejockey's work sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
    Thank you.

I was trying to emphasize this a while back in this thread.
    As far as looks go... some of the tidiest welding I've seen was done by accomplished stick weldors...
    ...Just check out Flangejockey's work sometime.
    Hey Chris,
    Can't you do pretty much everything with Flux Core that you can with a stick?
    Isn't FCAW a faster process and results in less waste (ie small left over electrodes) than SMAW?
    Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Hey Chris,
    Can't you do pretty much everything with Flux Core that you can with a stick?
    Isn't FCAW a faster process and results in less waste (ie small left over electrodes) than SMAW?
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Sorta Yes but in this case tasslehawf has a 200DX and Chris was trying to point out that it is an Excellent SMAW machine and to use it in that mode.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Sorta Yes but in this case tasslehawf has a 200DX and Chris was trying to point out that it is an Excellent SMAW machine and to use it in that mode.
    Well, thanks for clarifying, Ed.

Yes, Kiwi, Tassle's working with a Maxstar and, if I remember correctly, was working with some heavier, dirtier material. The plating, combined with welding out of doors was giving him Tungsten contamination issues. So... I said, change it over to SMAW and burn it in, dawg!

Sure, if he had a MIG machine, that table would have been done ZING-BANG! Fluxcore or not. But, he has a Maxstar and it's all good.

Hey Tassle, I dig your table idea... I'm not at all knocking your work... I'm just putting in my .02 about your machine's capabilites as I see it. I have the same machine (Maxstar 200DX) and it rocks in both modes.

If I'm out on an installation and don't have my Passport with me, I'll ALWAYS bring some rods for the Maxstar. Sometimes the situation is just too persnickety for GTAW.

Your fluxcore vs. SMAW question is probably better suited for the hardcore heavy metal weldors on this site. I don't run any fluxcore for my kind of work, but I will occassionally burn some rods when it's appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
    Well, thanks for clarifying, Ed.

Yes, Kiwi, Tassle's working with a Maxstar and, if I remember correctly, was working with some heavier, dirtier material. The plating, combined with welding out of doors was giving him Tungsten contamination issues. So... I said, change it over to SMAW and burn it in, dawg!

Sure, if he had a MIG machine, that table would have been done ZING-BANG! Fluxcore or not. But, he has a Maxstar and it's all good.

Hey Tassle, I dig your table idea... I'm not at all knocking your work... I'm just putting in my .02 about your machine's capabilites as I see it. I have the same machine (Maxstar 200DX) and it rocks in both modes.

If I'm out on an installation and don't have my Passport with me, I'll ALWAYS bring some rods for the Maxstar. Sometimes the situation is just too persnickety for GTAW.

Your fluxcore vs. SMAW question is probably better suited for the hardcore heavy metal weldors on this site. I don't run any fluxcore for my kind of work, but I will occassionally burn some rods when it's appropriate.
    Chris and Ed,
    Sorry, that was my mistake. When I saw his signature line I read it as a MM 180 instead of a Syncrowave 180. That is why I brought up the FCAW as opposed to the SMAW.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Chris and Ed,
    Sorry, that was my mistake. When I saw his signature line I read it as a MM 180 instead of a Syncrowave 180. That is why I brought up the FCAW as opposed to the SMAW.
    Nick
    Nick, It was a good question. I don't see any reason for you to apologise.