Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default New Welding Talbe... Finished!

Ok. You remember this one:

Well here is the final result (minus paint or something to protect it from the weather):

Last edited by tasslehawf; 04-07-2008 at 09:41 PM.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

the pics are not showing up

EDIT:
    ok thanks for fixing them.

I'd though I'd also post a little how-to as well. I've gotten really good at welding these steel sq. tubing cages for tables and other things.

First of all I wanted to show these off. These aluminum corner jigs have been soo good to me. They were only $50 ea. (from Walker Industries) I have four of 'em and they make putting these tables together possible without having a flat surface to clamp to.

So first I cut all the metal so I can make the top and bottom as mitered rectangles with at least one cross bar and (in this case) six uprights. I assemble the mitered boxes first. I clamp all four corners into the jigs before I start welding. If I can't do all four at once (sometimes the shorter dimension won't allow me to get two of the jigs next to eachother), I'll do two, tack weld and then do the other two.

I tack weld everything first. Two tacks on each side of the tubing. I tack the entire cage before I start any major welding.

Once the top and bottom are done, I'll tack the upright to one side and then put the other side on and tack that. I find often when I do this, I need I tie-down strap to force the metal into place before I clamp and weld it.

Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder

Once the entire cage is tack welded together, then I decide where to weld. I learned after the first table that I did: if you weld everywhere the table gets warped like crazy so I always weld selectively. I weld in places that provide vertical strength, but don't cause to table to warp in such away that we bring it out of level. On the top and bottom, I only weld the vertical welds and I weld all the welds on the outside of the table.

Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder

Then I welded the plates on for the casters. This turned out the be a disaster. One the second tap, I broke the tap off (which no surprise since I was going through 3/8" of steel), so I decided to weld studs into the holes. This didn't work particularly well either, as the welds around the studs prevent the caster plates from sitting flat so I had to weld on some 1 x 1/8" flat bar for the caster to sit on.

Finall I welded the angle iron onto the ibeams. When I put them onto the table, I was surprised how nicely the slid up and down the length of the table. There's about 1/8" of play on either side.

Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder

That's pretty cool. It's like a double saw horse that doesn't require level footing.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    That's pretty cool. It's like a double saw horse that doesn't require level footing.
    Exactly, since I definitely don't have any of that in my back yard!
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder

W beam makes great clamping stock. I think you're gonna like that rig.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Hope that 1/8" play won't make it too sloppy, that it could cause something to bend or warp.

You might need to get larger pneumatic tires, those small ones on that grass/dirt can be a killer!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Oh yeah, thanks for the pics and report! AWSOME!!!
    (glad you showed it BEFORE the paint job!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time