Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post
    x2 on the pics. I cannot visualize this, and now I'm curious.

You cannot visualize laying good beads with improperly ground tungsten??
    Or me grinding tungsten freehand with a 4 1/2" grinder?

One thing is for sure I'm a whole bunch better at running a welder than running a computer.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    You cannot visualize laying good beads with improperly ground tungsten??
    Or me grinding tungsten freehand with a 4 1/2" grinder?

One thing is for sure I'm a whole bunch better at running a welder than running a computer.
    Now I see what you're saying... grinding down the electrode with your aluminum-caked grinder. Heh. I have been doing that lately.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    I have laid down some of my best beads ever, that nobody will ever see
    Fusion: Tasslehawf and I were talking about THIS comment you made. But now I think we took it out of text. You mean no one will see it, 'cause that's the part underwater!!! If I'm wrong...SHOW US THE BEADS, MAN!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Exclamation 4 1/2" Aluminum Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post
    Now I see what you're saying... grinding down the electrode with your aluminum-caked grinder. Heh. I have been doing that lately.
    I have two 4 1/2" wheels, one coarse and one fine. The coarse is marked stainless and alum. I can't read the fine one, it's rubbed off. But I can push really hard on either one, without it ever loading up. The fine one is my aluminum mill. If you haven't tried either, they're worth finding. Got them at the LWS.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Anyone ever use chemsharp? I have been using it since I was in the Navy
    (89-93) and it gives you a great point.
    Last edited by 1974nova; 04-11-2008 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1974nova View Post
    Anyone ever use chemsharp? I have been using it since I was in the Navy
    (89-93) and it gives you a great point.
    Not only does it sounds dangerous (although likely no worse than breathing tungsten dust), but it doesn't sound like it will work on the newer tungsten allows... unless I'm wrong?
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

Not dangerous at all, all you do is ground the tungsten til it turns red and then dip the tip of it in the chemsharp powder until you have the desired tip you want. Trust me if the Navy thought it was dangerous they would not have it.
    Last edited by 1974nova; 04-12-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1974nova View Post
    Trust me if the Navy thought it was dangerous they would not have it.
    lol !!!!! Good one!!!! Ever read the paint they use for the bottom coat of the ships?! I'd hate to be the guys painting that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chemsharp is ok, works good, twirl it around the bottle, sharpens it fast, but somehow we just didn't like it. Seemed to take too much off. Maybe we just did it too long!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

SHARP? WHO NEEDS SHARP, I'M WELDING ALUMINUM

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    lol !!!!! Good one!!!! Ever read the paint they use for the bottom coat of the ships?! I'd hate to be the guys painting that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They use a really wicked powdercoating on tank trucks, tanks, and stuff like that. The MSDS was like reading an encyclopedia.