Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cool Restaurants

Well as for restaurant repair most of your work will be done at night after 7pm
    where abouts is your location? I was a chef before a welder.I dont know of any certs to get you in the door. All you really need is a good under standing of what your doing the material that you'll be working on mostly and getting your foot in the door. most chefs like myself are picky about your apperenance
    if you look professional chances are I hired the right person that means
    when asked a question you dont spit and sputter over your words like aa or hmm I dont know ,I guess so, most chefs that you will find have no sence of humor.We take food very very seriously.

There is a few places over here that build there equipment but no one portable not that I have heard anyway.Anyway these places dont care if you are certified or not if you can tig and I mean really tig then all you need is a chance at the right place because word of mouth travels.

I'm in Louisville, KY. We have plenty of restaurants.

I wasn't worried about certs so much for restaurants as the more complex stuff. But being relatively new and part-time I wouldn't attempt anything beyond my capabilities. (I won't start by doing stainless pipe in 6G 20 feet off the ground, for example.)

I did find some general information on certs. over at the AWS forum.

Thanks,

James

be shore to be set up to back gass, some of the protective past might not be a bad idea eather.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by jamscal View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. I may just make a go of it after further researching this.

The thing I'm trying to grasp right now is certifications. Some of the local welders advertise just being certified, but I understand you are certified for a specific type of welding, and further, specific base metals and positions. So it's possible they are certified in say, GMAW vertical down in mild steel, and could have nothing in GTAW stainless???

What would be close to a coverall certification, or if that's not possible, what tough certification or combination of certifications would lend credence that I know what the heck I'm doing(given that I want to do specialized tig work).

If someone could further educate me on certs. or know of a good basic link I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

James
    Hi James

When you boil it all down welder Certifications are only needed when a third party inspector is called for in the job specifications.

No one cert will qualify a person to be "Mr. Welder Man" As for other welders advertising certifications they are playing on the general publics (and their own) lacking of knowledge of the certification process and uses.

This applies in the USA only. As I understand it other countries have a system much the electricians have in the USA

For the business you are talking about you are selling your self more than the skills or the work you intend to do. You want to show up clean, professional, organized and lacking nuts and bolts sticking out of your nose. Confidence is good arrogant is foolish.

Never show up during the busy time of the day asking if they need something fixed.
    TJ
    Last edited by Fat-Fab.com; 06-05-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat-Fab.com View Post
    As for other welders advertising certifications they are playing on the general publics (and their own) lacking of knowledge of the certification process and uses.
    I think you've probably hit the nail on the head with that one. Thanks for the advice.

-James

Quote Originally Posted by Fat-Fab.com View Post
    For the business you are talking about you are selling your self more than the skills or the work you intend to do. You want to show up clean, professional, organized and lacking nuts and bolts sticking out of your nose. Confidence is good arrogant is foolish.
    This is much more important than most realize. You can look like you're there to work, but shouldn't look like you just came from another job... follow?
    Scott Rhea
    It's not WHAT you build...
    It's HOW you build it.
    www.izzyscustomcages.com

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy's Cages View Post
    This is much more important than most realize. You can look like you're there to work, but shouldn't look like you just came from another job... follow?
    Hey, fellow GRMer!

Yes, understood.

I will be clean, well groomed and articulate

-James

-James

"-James" is that a shot at me are you trying to say i'm not well groomed and articulate
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post

-James

"-James" is that a shot at me are you trying to say i'm not well groomed and articulate
    Not at all, but lets see a pic and we'll know for sure.

I was trying to both respond to the advice and also loosely quote some senator who said this about Barak Obama...and got in trouble for it.

-James

yea i was just jazzen ya as my name is james also and you had the - befor your name.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES