Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

James;
    I started out in much the same way 5 or so years ago but had a worked as a pipefitter welder / vessel fabricator for food and pharma (pure water mainly) so had a very good understanding of stainless and the type of applications it's used in. I'ts nothing you can't lean with time and experience though so don't be put off!

When I went out on my own I bought a Dyn 200 and went knocking on doors of local sheetmetal shops - you'll be suprised at how many are always looking for welders for a few days to cover holidays/illness of just that their so far behind with their workload they need gettin outa the c**p!

They also get asked to do sitework and dont have the facilities to do it themselves so you might get some referals that way.

Like previous posts say, look professional - that goes for your kit as well, make sure your trucks clean ( cables wrapped up etc) everything you own / do/ say is a reflection of you - including the quality of your work.

above all make a point of leaving the jobsite cleaner than when you got there. You'll be remembered for it!!!

Russ

Thanks Russ.

General question:

Should I have a portable table and stool to take with me on jobs?

I was thinking a small fold up aluminum workstation and small stool would be ideal for restaurant and medical work. It wouldn't work for everything of course, but might prevent waiting 20 minutes while someone clears out a spot for me to work, for example.

Also, any examples of such tables on the web?

-James

PS: I think I'll go for it w/in the month. I'll post pics if and when I do.

jamscal, I have done a ton of work in restaurants over the years and the first thing to do is get the item to be repaired or modified out of the building if at all possible. Bring with you a set of folding stands and some sort of a table top to work off of. The restaurant work should generally be done late at night or early in the morning when customers and staff are not present. When I do have to work inside I bring a b*ttload of tarps and drop cloths with me to cover anything and everything in the immediate vacinity of the work area. Cover everything especially if and cutting or grinding is taking place. The next best tip I can give you is work neat, you are generally going to be working in a small confined area and space is at a premium, tripping over cords and equipment is a real hassle and not very professional looking. Another must have if staff is present is welding curtains, non experienced people will naturally look at the light (can you say flashburn) and you leave yourself open for their medical liabilities
    DO NOT under any circumstance work on any kind of medical equipment on site. They must keep as sterile of an environment as possible, anything you do will jeopardize that environment and the place will have to be decontaminated (possibly at your expense). Hope these tips help and good luck on starting up a new venture. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

thats some sound advice right there.
    i have never done mobil welding but did a fair share of remodeling, and the less mess you make the better. rebuilding improperly built fire places can make a huge mess. i got several referals just due to the fact i took the time ti inshore all my cement doard cutting was done outside and i left the place just as clean or cleaner when i left.
    some will expect you to work spotless ly otheres will expect you to leave a mess. if its spotless when you veave every one is happy and the word will get around. just because they say i can clean that up dosent mean its a good idea to let them.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

We use Ridgid Collapsable workbenches with a demountable vice.

I would never dream of taking a stool anywhere with me! - to the uneducated it looks like your just being lazy!!!
    You're gonna have to learn to weld without a footpedal, either with the slope function on your dx or you can use a thumbwheel.

Theres a good chance that most of your work will be in position, under worktops in cupboard off steps etc so pedals become useless.

A small headscreen or hood is another good investment as you'll have to get your head into some tight spots and learn to weld looking into a mirror - Ive lost count of the number of butts i've done against a wall that other people have walked away from. It takes some getting used to but its well worth the effort.

Russ

I guess a stool would depend on the situation. I don't think anything implies laziness if you're getting the job done efficiently...and I don't want to keep up appearances for the 'uneducated.' I know you have to deal with them sometimes.

Not that the first thing I'd carry into a place would be a stool anyway.

But I will keep that in mind.

I plan on having both a pedal and thumbwheel for different situations.

I saw an interesting tig video on youtube last week, a guy was tigging under a car, laying on the ground, the foot pedal was on it's side with his right foot on top, and left foot under the pedal to support it. It was definitely a 'get-r-dun' moment.

-James