Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Possible tig only small business

Hello all,

I'm currently working a temporary gig tig welding aluminum.

I'm pretty good at it, like it, etc. I still have a bunch to learn, but that will always be the case.

Anyway, I was thinking about the possibility of a part-time small business with just an Dynasty 200dx, and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on that?

I envision being very portable with a small argon tank, as well as doing work in my garage. Pick-up and delivery will be offered as well.

I would advertise as speciality or high-tech, welding aluminum and stainless mainly. From the tiny bit of research I've done it seems that restaurants and medical businesses could be possible customers.

So how 'bout it? Do-able? Does anyone have any web links to similar businesses? Advice? I ran my own powder coating and abrasive blasting shop in the past, so I'm not green at the business thing.

Also, as my 'main' business will require a van and trailer, all the other odds and ends required are no problem. I'm also a tool guy and have a bunch. My thinking is the worst case scenerio is this: I'll have a great welder for personal use and 500 useless business cards.

Thanks,

James
    Last edited by jamscal; 05-31-2007 at 07:03 PM.

Very doable and a very useful niche, especially in a city.

yep, i would think if ou can get the word out, its verry doable. all the resteronts have almost every thing in SS and the dyn200's ability to be portable and run off any electrical socket defenetly helps.
    good luck.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

That is about 5% of my business and growing .
    TJ______________________________________

In any business ,especially a small one, a niche is a good thing if you can find one. I do sorta the same thing. I dont do any road work only in the shop and 90% of the repair work is aluminum for some reason. i have thought about the dynasty as well because i do get some calls for marine repairs but since I already have a full time job, it would be hard for me to make the repairs when they want them. Especially since its always "right now". I used to advertise in the phone book but found it not very useful. Got some calls, but like I said most wanted things done "today" and I couldn't always do that. So now I wont work on it unless they can leave it, at least a day.

Good luck
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

the dyn200 is defenetly the welder for mobile work lik docks and resteronts. i realy like my TA-185 but it requires 220V where the dyn200 would let you use a 110V option wich is every where and most of the resteront and dock work is going to be on thin stuff ny way so 110V TIG would be great. mine is small and easy, well easy enough to cary for most people but i could see having to bring my generator with me to provide power. where the dyn200 i could throw in the front seat with me and the most i would need would be a 25-50ft. extention cord. man i gotta get me one of them, well i supose a job would help. although if i had a job i would probly have the dyn insted of the TA, is this a chicken or egg came first kind of thing.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES