Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by modela View Post
    By the way, I fired up my Maxstar 200 STR yesterday. It is the first time in years that I have used a DC stick welder. It was really smooth and nice. I also used the lift-arc on the unit and welded a little bit with the TIG. Too bad it doesn't have AC. Nice little welder, though.

For those who are more experienced, how do you rate the lift-arc versus the high frequency start? I have been taking a TIG class at a local community college and using a big Miller water cooled tig and so the Maxstar and the older Syncrowave are my only reference. Somehow I keep thinking that I am going to ruin the Tungsten when using the lift arc. Also, the manual doesn't tell much about what amps you use when starting the lift arc.

Jim
    "Lift-Arc™ allows the tungsten to be placed in direct contact
    with the metal to be welded. As the tungsten is lifted off the
    part, the arc is established. This is sometimes referred to as
    touch start. Little if any chance of contamination is possible
    due to special power source circuitry. When the Lift-Arc switch
    is activated, lower power level is supplied to the tungsten
    electrode. This low power allows some preheating of the
    tungsten when it is in initial contact with the part. Remember
    hot tungsten is a good emitter of electrons. This power level
    is low enough not to overheat the tungsten or melt the work
    thus eliminating the possibility of contamination. Once the
    arc is established the power source circuitry switches from
    the Lift-Arc mode to the weld power mode and welding can
    commence. Figure 2.34 illustrates the proper techniques to
    use with the Lift-Arc starting method.
    Figure"

http://www.millerwelds.com/education/TIGhandbook/

Chapter II

I have used the lift arc and made it work but I like the high frequency start better. At least it would have been nice to have both.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by modela View Post
    I have used the lift arc and made it work but I like the high frequency start better. At least it would have been nice to have both.

Jim
    lift arc is good if for some reason you don't have a remote or the ability to use one.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

Default Lift arc question

I have a foot pedal on the unit. The local guy told me that I should advance the foot pedal when using the lift arc. Can anyone give me more specific instructions than what is in the manual.

Thanks,

Jim