Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Help with TIG welder decision

After wandering around a couple of welding shops I am confused about a TIG welder. I have a Maxstar 200 STR which is basically a portable TIG DC only machine and I want to get something that will do aluminum as well as steel. I would be willing to spend in the $2000 to $2500 range or more if necessary. The unit will be shop bound. Some of the people seem to push Miller and some Lincoln but the people say that the amperage is misleading because of the low duty cycle. I do mostly lighter things but it is nice to be able to weld heavier stuff occasionally.

Thanks,

Jim

Those guys can come back and chime in...My .02 is whose going to give me the better service, availability of parts, etc. I just happen to buy blue, 'cause they give me the best service, I love their machines, and they open 7 days a week (most days till 5pm, while red closes at 4pm and only open M-F)
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

THINK BLUE

M I L L E R

Look at duty cycles, and purchase accordingly.
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
    Makita Everything else
    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
    USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

Default Can't go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by modela View Post
    After wandering around a couple of welding shops I am confused about a TIG welder. I have a Maxstar 200 STR which is basically a portable TIG DC only machine and I want to get something that will do aluminum as well as steel. I would be willing to spend in the $2000 to $2500 range or more if necessary. The unit will be shop bound. Some of the people seem to push Miller and some Lincoln but the people say that the amperage is misleading because of the low duty cycle. I do mostly lighter things but it is nice to be able to weld heavier stuff occasionally.

Thanks,

Jim
    You will be more than pleased with the Thermal Arc Arcmaster 200 AC/DC.
    I use pulsing with a lot of my DC TIG jobs and find the TA products to be real workhorses. With a 5 year warranty and 5 "saved program" slots, I don't think you can beat the value. Replace that piece of junk pressure regulator supplied with a Smith Optimizer and the saved gas will pay for the powersource in less than 2 years. Good Luck no matter what brand you end up buying.

Regards, Stillwelding

I would say Dynasty 200DX or Sycrowave 200 if you have enough power now, just need to do aluminum as well.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

ill go against the flow. I like the PT 225 over the Snyco 200. the Lincoln made a little better machine on this size. you shouldnt have a problem on the duty cycle unless you are running 190+ amps. due to the fit up and prep time are rarely hit the duty cycle.

if you were going bigger then go with the Miller because the 250 and 350 syncos are WAY better than Lincolns in this size range.

Quote Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post
    I would say Dynasty 200DX or Sycrowave 200 if you have enough power now, just need to do aluminum as well.
    What he said.
    Dynasty if you want to run it on low amps or syncro if you want to save a few bucks but will spend it on getting power to the welder.
    I own a sycro 200 and would only trade up for a 250 or a dynasty. but the 200 will do everything i need it to right now. Also for a little aluminum.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Quote Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
    What he said.
    Dynasty if you want to run it on low amps or syncro if you want to save a few bucks but will spend it on getting power to the welder.
    I own a sycro 200 and would only trade up for a 250 or a dynasty. but the 200 will do everything i need it to right now. Also for a little aluminum.
    Dynasty 200DX if you wanna be the coolest kid on the block.

Add a coolmate for extra .
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post
    Dynasty 200DX if you wanna be the coolest kid on the block.

Add a coolmate for extra .
    I just GOT those toys....and I STILL get picked last for kickball....
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
    honestly, they are two different animals, the Synchro's being squarewave tranny's don't have anywhere near the adjustability that the inverted Dynasty offers, this is important when working with Al. a 200 inverted will out weld a 250 tranny on Al. as evidenced here:

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    I still vote for the Dynasty 200 DX.
    If you need to weld thicker stuff the power it has to produce a puddle at 200 amps and 250 hz is no less than amazing to me.