Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Workspace Dilemma.... suggestions?

Since July 07 when I gave up my 3000 sq. ft. rented workspace (for financial reasons), I have worked on small projects most in the back yard at home. In January I got my Maxstar 200dx. Since then I have done 3 or 4 welding projects and am starting on my first paid welding job of the year.

Currently there are a number of issues with my setup. First of all I don't have 220 power. Second I don't really have a dedicated place to work. I've been cutting, grinding and welding in the grass/dirt in our (luckily not yet landscaped) yard. My wife is ok with me doing this, but doesn't like it when I leave everything out covered in tarps. And eventually she will want to start landscaping.

I've been considering a couple different options. First I though of pouring a concrete pad, adding steel uprights and a corrugated roof. Then running power from the (yet to be installed) new sub panel in the garage and attaching an outlet box the one of the uprights. The problems with this setup are first that I don't have anything keeping me from throwing sparks when a grind/cut. Also I can't keep anything out there because it's not protected from theft/weather.

My other thought was the buy a steel building and put in up instead in the same spot. This would be THE solution, but I don't think my wife will go for it because it's visually ugly for the back yard and reduces the openness of the yard (it's not very big).

Although I don't have the cash right now, I am also tempted to tear down the garage and build a bigger one.

I was also trying to think of a temporary/easy solution that I wouldn't have to permit/could take down eventually. Or building something that looks good.

We do have a garage, but it's full of stuff. I did do a job where I took everything out first and then worked inside. It was nice being protected by the sun, but I hate to have to empty it out every time. Plus I can weld, but I can't grind in the garage.

I plan on upgrading the power to the garage no matter what so even if I don't have a dedicated work spot at least I'll have my power.

Does anyone know of a way to control sparks while grinding? Maybe I'll have to rig something up.

The biggest issue for me at the moment is to figure out what to do in the short-term.
    Last edited by tasslehawf; 04-01-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

I would (am going to do this summer when we move) take everything out of the garage thats not project related. If your getting payed to make stuff you can deduct your rent/morgage at the end of the year that way. Then put the other stuff into a storage shed.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Lincoln 140
    O/A
    Gradatim vincimus
    "We conquer by degrees."

Default Work is work..

Rent/mortgage and bills are much uglier than any steel work building you need to make a living. If welding is your life bread, do what you need to do to stay alive. If it's a hobby or part time fun ticket producer, than maybe that steel building is ugly.

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Quote Originally Posted by tacmig View Post
    Rent/mortgage and bills are much uglier than any steel work building you need to make a living. If welding is your life bread, do what you need to do to stay alive. If it's a hobby or part time fun ticket producer, than maybe that steel building is ugly.

TacMig
    Metalwork is a part-time business. I do a lot of different things. I'm supposed to be a designer, but I just like the hands-on too much.

I'm leaning towards figuring out how to clean out the garage now.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder

Default Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post
    Metalwork is a part-time business. I do a lot of different things. I'm supposed to be a designer, but I just like the hands-on too much.

I'm leaning towards figuring out how to clean out the garage now.
    Sounds great, good luck. My suggestion: Lots of overhead storage. Only make fast access to things you use often. Plastic tots can be stored outside or other areas subjected to weather area. Maybe build a small/medium shed?

Happy welding,

TacMig
    We depend On:

We belong to or support:
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Quote Originally Posted by tacmig View Post
    Sounds great, good luck. My suggestion: Lots of overhead storage. Only make fast access to things you use often. Plastic tots can be stored outside or other areas subjected to weather area. Maybe build a small/medium shed?

Happy welding,

TacMig
    Currently there is a small badly-designed attached storage shed. I am thinking tear that down and put a small free-standing building to store everything in. From the best I can tell, if it's under 120 sq. ft. it doesn't need to be permitted (esp. if it doesn't have any electrical or plumbing).
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder

You might want to look into insurance on this matter if you plan to weld in your garage.If you are in city limits its not permissible to run a business out of a residential zoned house.And insurance sure as **** will not pay a dine if it is burned down from this. If its just tig,no worries just do the grinding outside.If you plan to stick weld or mig then there is a possible potential for a fire hazzard.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Get a couple welding blankets from HF and build a Grinding "booth".

Landscape the yard with Gravel & cactus- you don't want to spend money on watering the grass in a desert anyway

Fabricator,

Different rules for different cities.

We can have a home business, but are limited to 2 customers a day on the premises and cannot have non-family member employees. We're also restricted in what kind of signs we have outside the house, but that's about it.

Also, my homeowners insurance knows I have a machine shop and do welding and plasma cutting inside the "house" and it's perfectly acceptable. However, they will not cover any business related incidents.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Default Good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post
    Currently there is a small badly-designed attached storage shed. I am thinking tear that down and put a small free-standing building to store everything in. From the best I can tell, if it's under 120 sq. ft. it doesn't need to be permitted (esp. if it doesn't have any electrical or plumbing).
    Where we are as long as the building is less than 150 Sq/Ft. and contains no electrical or plumbing a permit is not required as long as no one complains and you obey the setback rules i.e 10 feet from fence etc. Some other good advice as previously posted by others and perhaps the best is to contact your insurer and get the necessary additional coverage. You don't want the fire inspecters report to mention that the fire was or even may have been caused by the use of welding! The xtra $$ for the coverage shouldn't be too bad.

Good luck,

TacMig
    We depend On:

We belong to or support:
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters