Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cool Whistle

I built a rack awhile back for my G.M.C. truck.Fit real nice,whistled better.Drove me near nuts.Capped everything that I could , Didn't work.I like the idea of lifting it . Will try when some snow melts.Still must be 5 feet in back yard.

If you can't get it to stop whistling, at least teach it a tune you can live with
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post
    Tack a piece of angle iron onto the front tube like this: []>
    I tried that before i raised mine, didn't help. but I would be interested in knowing if helps him, mine were lower to the cab.

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 12 RC wire feeder
    Miller HF 251D-1
    Miller 175 wire feed

Quote Originally Posted by trevwelder View Post
    I tried that before i raised mine, didn't help. but I would be interested in knowing if helps him, mine were lower to the cab.
    I wonder if you had used circ. tubing if it would have made a difference.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post
    Tack a piece of angle iron onto the front tube like this: []>
    I'd do the same thing but add it to the back <[] so it looks more like a wing

thats just pure speculation though, either one of us might be right, or both of us wrong.
    Millermatic 180 Auto Set

If I remember correctly, I think my buddy Calweld (at least I think it was him) had the same problem with a rack on his truck, do a search or p.m. him and maybe you can find what was done to cure it.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Hint: Do you know why car (truck) antennas have the wire spiraled around them?

Quote Originally Posted by spotsineyes View Post
    Hint: Do you know why car (truck) antennas have the wire spiraled around them?
    that seems to help but they start whistling at about 140+mph, not to mention it was bent back almost all the way to the wind shield. but then again the entire car starts whistling through the doors at those speeds.

the headache racks on the back wind shields of trucks, what keeps them from whistling?

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    If you can't get it to stop whistling, at least teach it a tune you can live with
    Awww...shucks! I just saw this thread...YOU BEAT ME TO IT!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Gonna build my first truck rack in 2 or 3 weeks (when my pipe bender comes in). My union instructor showed me things to look out for (all the racks on their trucks are all schedule 40 round pipe, round being stronger than rectangle or square stock):

Rule #1: Don't have your bar shorter than the top edge of your front window, sticking out a little is better. If it is exactly above it might be ok, but just a little behined, it'll start to whistle. Funny this thread came up about that! He said the air coming off the windshield hits the pipe and makes it whistle. You could make it higher, but we both agreed it doesn't look nice... He makes all his around 3" above the top point of the cab...
    my .02 (pick it apart, but that's what I was told, and that's how I'm going to make my 1st pipe rack)
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time