Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You have no pics so there is no way guess what you are trying to duplicate. About 15 yrs ago I built an iron fence and sliding gate for a friend. The metal was all cold rolled steel rounds. 1" posts,3/4" stringers , and 1/2" pickets. I made a jig on a 4x8 sheet of ply and nails to space everything. It was all stick with a flip down hood. I could do it now in 1/4 the time with my HH187 and autodark hood. We had the rod cut by the supplier, much cheaper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KEENAVV; 03-29-2008 at 01:53 AM.

I built this fence for my office. the jig was made from plywood, i screwed pieces of 2x4 to the table in between the pickets for spacing of my top and bottom rails, i built the fence in eight foot sections, welded clips to the 4'' posts and bolted the sections in place so i could remove the panels if ever there was a need

The jig in the pic is upside down there are sheet metal plates on the top to keep the pickets from digging in to the 2x4's
    Last edited by k.a.m.; 03-29-2008 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added something

Here is some better pictures i hope.

Talking My Pool Safety Fence

I just recently built a safety fence to enclose my pool. All mild steel tubing - 1/2" pickets, 1" rails and 2" posts. The fence sections are 10' long and were assembled on a wooden jig. The top and bottom rails have 1/2" holes drilled 1/2" from each end to fit over 1/2" rods that are welded to brackets welded to the posts. This way there is no welding required on-site and the sections can be removed for maintenance, access, etc. The posts were installed and cemented while being held in place by the previous fence sections, this way there was no problem with the fence panels fitting properly once the concrete set up.
    The jig was made from 2x4s and 1x4s - spacing for the proper fence height and picket gaps was built in.
    The fence has been "aging" over the winter and I originally was only going to seal it to show the natural finish, but my wife has now decided it should be painted black, so that is the next step in the project. The fence is 130' plus a 3' and a 5' gate.

See the photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mig-ateur/

Hope this gives you some good ideas.
    Joe

It takes less time and money to do it right than it does to do it over!

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.

Lincoln Power Mig 140C
    Miller Elite Red Flame Hood
    DeWalt, DeWalt, DeWalt, Craftsman, Craftsman
    Delta 16.5" Drill Press w/Laser
    Kobalt 150psi Compressor, 1/2" Impact, Die Grinder, Finish Nailgun, Sprayer

Joe,
    MAN you build some nice stuff!!!!
    THANKS for sharing!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

What is the easiest way to build a jig, MIG-ateur?
    They don't call me Lucky for nothin'.

I found that the plywood jig was the easiest to construct, nothing permanent and if i needed the wood after the project for something i had it. I jigged up about 100' of the fence you saw for two court yards they all came out square and the same. without a table jig of some sort i think you would constantly be trying to see if your square and not racked in one direction or the other. The time it took to build the jig was worth it to me for all the time it saved laying out the panels.

Sorry i just realized you directed the question i believe to Mig-ateur.
    Last edited by k.a.m.; 04-01-2008 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Added something

No need for an apology. I just saw that his jig looked like the pickett spacing portion was pre-made..?
    They don't call me Lucky for nothin'.

Wink Jig Building 101

My fence panels are 10' long, max, and I also made two 3' gates and one 5' gate, and I made two more 7' panels for the additional fence that encloses my pool equipment.

So it was logical for me to build my jig 10' long. If you look closely at the pictures, you can see that I built in not only the picket spacing, which is 4", but the top and bottom rail spacing and height, so that the 1/2" pickets would be in the middle of the 1" rails with no measuring required. Each panel is identical.

The picket spacing was accomplished by routing 1/2 grooves at the 4" spacing in two identical 1"x4" boards 10' long. These were attached to a 2"x4" frame that was made wider than the 4' panel height, and then the spacers were installed to hold the top and bottom rails at the correct locations and heights relative to the pickets. Once the jig was assembled, no measuring was required as the rails and pickets were inserted into the jig and the welding was completed. All welds were made on one side of the panel, then it was flipped over and re-inserted into the jig to hold everying square while the second side welds were all made.

The panels came out of the jig square and flat.
    Joe

Lincoln Power Mig 140C

Talking Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Joe,
    MAN you build some nice stuff!!!!
    THANKS for sharing!!!!!!
    Thanks for the compliments. Those are photos of just a few of the things I have done in the last couple of years, since I got a digital camera.

I worked my way through high school and college in a custom cabinet shop and learned that trade as well as custom finish carpentry, remodeling, add-ons, etc.

I continued woodworking for the next 35 years and continued to learn as I moved on to building custom furniture pieces. Still love woodworking!!

A year and a half ago I got an hour of MIG instruction from a buddy and built a couple of small projects for my wife using his Miller 135, and I got so hooked I bought myself a Linclon 140C, and I have continued to build projects for around the house. Right now I am working on a table/work surface that will have a hydraulic jack to lift it to various working heights depending on what I am building at the time. It will primarily be used for welding, but can also be used as an outfeed table for my table saw, a work platform for my sliding compound mitre saw, a work lift for my lawn tractor, my golf cart and my son-in-law's 4-wheeler and motorcycle, and anything else I think of to use it for.

I have been trying to get the time to start working on some projects that mix woodworking and metalworking, lending themselves to the southwest style of building and furniture making. Just not enough hours in the day.

The jig I built for my pool fence was my first attempt at mixing the two mediums, and that was a lot of fun!

Again, thanks for looking and thanks for the compliments!
    Joe

Lincoln Power Mig 140C