Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Canadian Welders, got your red seal?

Stupid question here,
    have had my A welding ticket since 84. Its got a red seal on it, but not an interprovincial red seal like my millwright ticket which I got later. Any old Canadian welders out there know if my seal is "the" red seal?

To the best of my knowledge each province has it's own standards, qualifications and so on. I don't believe any of these qualifications officially carry over to other provinces, although employers may recognize that you are indeed properly trained. IMO, if you can pass a test in one province, then you should be able to pass it without too much stress in another (Just a pain to have to retest ).

The much talked about "red seal" interprovincial ticket covers a number of trades, but welding is not one of them. Steel fabrication and Ironworkers are however covered under the red seal. (I'm working on my welding & fab tickets) To the best of my knowledge, this ticket is only recognised by B.C. and Alberta. For Fabrication you must complete in ITAC approved course and complete 6400 hours to gain your Journeyman status, and than work the difference to a total of 9600 hours for the red seal. I don't remember if there is any sort of testing involved, or just the hours.

Hope this makes sense, it is quite late and I'm feeling a little dopey.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Default Inter-provincial Red Seal

Myself have a Welder Alberta Journeyman and Inter-provincial Red Seal. My J-test consisted of a practical and written exam and the red seal just a written exam. When I got my certificates I got two, one for my Journeymen and one for the red seal. The red seal test was quite different then the Journeymen exam, lots of safety, sub-arc, spot welding, rolling, forming and other welding related questions which are normally not confronted in Alberta. A lot of students who spent there apprenticeship as a welders helper on pipelines didn't do so well.

That said the red seal qualification has given a few more opportunities for me. I have been studying to write my first ABSA paper for boilier codes officer, which is needed to be considered for the test. In Ontario at the moment and see TSSA requires it as well to test for there Inspector qualifications. I can't say if it helped me get a better job, but I have no problems applying and getting supervisor or management positions. I also learned from it, think thats the important thing.

We went to the website redseal.ca and it lists welding as one of the many red seal trades.

My standard millwright ticket has an orange seal, and my interprovincial ticket has a redseal and a red interprovincial seal.
    Like I say, I have my A level welding ticket since the early 80`s but has just a single red seal on it, no interprovincial seal. So, is my welding ticket a real red seal, and just issued before the new interprovincial seals were invented? or do I have to go and write a test after being an A level welder for 25yrs LOL

Thanks,
    And good luck on your training.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
    We went to the website redseal.ca and it lists welding as one of the many red seal trades.

My standard millwright ticket has an orange seal, and my interprovincial ticket has a redseal and a red interprovincial seal.
    Like I say, I have my A level welding ticket since the early 80`s but has just a single red seal on it, no interprovincial seal. So, is my welding ticket a real red seal, and just issued before the new interprovincial seals were invented? or do I have to go and write a test after being an A level welder for 25yrs LOL

Thanks,
    And good luck on your training.
    That is interesting, when I signed into the apprenticeship program throught the school there were was no option for welding, only fabrication. I guess it's not such a bad thing, as I have to get both tickets anyway. I will dig out some of the info they gave us as part of the sign up package and look into it. If it makes a difference we were signed up in a program invovled with ITA here in B.C.

Now you got me curious.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Default Red Seal

If your ticket has a red seal on it or anywhere that it has interprovincial standard on it then it is valid. It is valid in all provinces except for Quebec. My auto mechanic ticket was rom 78 and has no red seal but the interprovincial standards on it. My welding ticket is from 02 and has the red seal.

Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
    Stupid question here,
    have had my A welding ticket since 84. Its got a red seal on it, but not an interprovincial red seal like my millwright ticket which I got later. Any old Canadian welders out there know if my seal is "the" red seal?
    Maybe call the BC Industry Training Authority? Requirements have changed over the years but older endorsements may be able to grandfather.

http://www.itabc.ca/
    Cheers,
    Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

The trade of welding in Canada is definitely %100 a red seal inter provincial trade. There is a seperate test for it and a big ol' red seal on the back of the ticket with the words inter provicial standard.
    I have no clue about what or how your system out in B.C works. There are no such things as A,B or C class welders in Ab or Sask. 1st year, 2nd and 3rd then Journeyman...simple.

As others have said, the Interprovincial Red Seal is indeed different from an 'A' or journeyman ticket and requires a separate written test. Pretty tough test to just walk up and write. It covers a wide variety of information that you might not find in your area. In B.C. here we do no nuke work and very little refinery work. You can get caught up on what could be simple enough questions but you may not understand the wording. Also layout, metallurgy and some code and standards. The seal itself doesn't matter much in your own province but is asked for when travelling. Probably not as significant as it was intended to be due to the high demand for travelling workers but when times get tough it will be a requirement. Below is a page from my B.C. log book
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by OldSparks View Post
    Below is a page from my B.C. log book
    Looks just like mine!
    Cheers,
    Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300