Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default 350 Chevy engine?

Looking for our resident Chevy experts. I have a 350 4 bolt that as far as I know came from a 74 pickup. It has HEI and I was wondering if the valve seats are hardened? I think they might be as they were anticipating the no-lead coming. Engine number VO521TJC.

I would guess yes, but it's pretty moot at this point. If you plan on using for any appreciable amount of driving it probably needs a rebuild anyhow, if its just a light use thing, then run it as long as you can. If your going the Hi-perf route you should ditch the factory castings anyhow, or at least update to vortecs.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Here is some info for ya....
    http://vetteworks.tripod.com/casting.htm
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

This is for a simple pump engine, low rpm and I think these are hardened now that I clean them up. Very little wear on valves and it will take just a touch of grind, maybe not even needed and the seats could stand to be touched. My engine guy will be here tomorrow and we will see, just got finished cleaning the parts. We are leaving the bottom alone and what worried me was head gaskets that had been there over 30 yrs, they were steel but flawless, might not had to take it apart except for some broken springs and I wanted to replace the valve seals and clean the carbon. This is getting propane carb, we actually ran this engine before this and it worked very well, the comp test was almost perfect but I didn't trust the gaskets and am putting new timing set in also. I pulled a rod cap and it looks like new.

It will get a oil pan mod similar to this one including a sight glass. They run a long time with the no lead heads, used to be a valve grind was a regular chore with old engines running on LP but these work well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a similar unit in place, this one is a 383. I bought one with seized engine with fairly new pump for 300$ including the LP parts and the Chevy was a direct hookup other than engine mounts. This engine didn't burn oil and ran super sweet, really flew but I was interested in some PM basically.
    The last pic is the unit this Chevy is in, its since been modified somewhat.
    Attached Images Attached Images