Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Todays Quick Project

Here is a photo of a lamp I made today. Not alot of welding involved but fun none the less. The scrolls are 1/8 thick by 1/2 wide the center tube is 3/4 o.d. The second photo is the jig i built to hold everything at the correct positions. Building the jig was a satisfying project in itself. It will hold 3 scrolls at 120 deg or 4 at 90 deg.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice lamp, even though I can only see 2 scrolls, how did you get them to look alike, do you have a jig for them also or just wing it ?

My wife has about 10 of them sitting around, if I made any, she would want to keep every one I made.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

The 3rd scroll is directly behind the center tube. I have a scroll bender from SHOP OUTFITTERS.

WW, do you have the big scroll bender or the bench model?
    Nice jig!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default Very nice...

I love to see people take their time, think it through and do it right. The jig is a perfect example of that along with using a good bender. This may be a simple fab but in the wrong hands can be ruined. In my opinion simplicity must be done perfect and in the case of this lamp it is nothing less than perfect. If I wasn't a welder/fab'r I'd buy it in a heart beat, instead I'll steal the idea with great pride

Great job!!

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Wink Steal this too

While your stealing ideas here is another one using the same style scroll and the same jig. you can adjust the size of the scrolls and ring at the bottom to fit almost any pot or bucket.
    Attached Images Attached Images

cool we
    good stuff
    Last edited by welderman23; 03-27-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: i was drunk when i wrote this .what was i thinking ????
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

Default Oh, I will cobb it with much pride...

Quote Originally Posted by weekend welder View Post
    While your stealing ideas here is another one using the same style scroll and the same jig. you can adjust the size of the scrolls and ring at the bottom to fit almost any pot or bucket.
    Ya know, we probably whip up a couple thousand scrolls a year for our gates and rails but I never thought to use them as you have. I should back up a bit and say that I have seen them used, but not nearly as nice as yours. Seems every time I see some hack slapping one together they have that 60's type inspirational brain-fart leaving there project way over cooked looking like it belongs in an 67 VW bus with wood sides, swinging curtains and the stench of pot and incense not to mention a few peace signs and the 30 foot surfboard hanging over end to end. Along with stealing your projects, I also swiped your photos to show a few hack friends of mine just how it's supposed to be done.

Thanks and keep up the great work,
    TacMig
    We depend On:

We belong to or support:
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Quote Originally Posted by tacmig View Post
    Ya know, we probably whip up a couple thousand scrolls a year for our gates and rails but I never thought to use them as you have. I should back up a bit and say that I have seen them used, but not nearly as nice as yours. Seems every time I see some hack slapping one together they have that 60's type inspirational brain-fart leaving there project way over cooked looking like it belongs in an 67 VW bus with wood sides, swinging curtains and the stench of pot and incense not to mention a few peace signs and the 30 foot surfboard hanging over end to end. Along with stealing your projects, I also swiped your photos to show a few hack friends of mine just how it's supposed to be done.

Thanks and keep up the great work,
    TacMig
    What's wrong with the stench of pot????
    lol...oh great, now EVERYONE will think I used to smoke it!!!
    Used to??? Oh sh!t!!!....aahhh...I NEVER inhaled it!!!!
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default Don't worry...!

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    What's wrong with the stench of pot????
    lol...oh great, now EVERYONE will think I used to smoke it!!!
    Used to??? Oh sh!t!!!....aahhh...I NEVER inhaled it!!!!
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!!!!!!!
    Got to admit I had to pull myself off the floor after reading your quote! I was just trying to imagine how fast you started typing after you typed in "Used to???" Pretty funny stuff! Here is my admission. Yep I smoked the stuff way back yonder, even ate it in some brownies once (I think they were brownies?) Oh the good old days of dry mouth, munchies and spinning rooms. Did I say all this? Just kidd'en mom!

TacMig
    We depend On:

We belong to or support:
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters