Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first gates

Default My first gates

...and only my 6th real project with my MM180.

I made the gates for a neighbor buddy. They span a 12 1/2 foot driveway. Material is 16 gauge steel tubing, 1 x 1 and 1 x 1 1/2. Each gate weighs about 72 pounds.

I was stuck using existing hinge pins set into the brick wall; they are misaligned several ways. I compensated in the hinge receivers, and there's enough play and flex that binding from the misalignments is not too bad.

I also did a matching 3-foot walkway gate. The gates are not yet painted. I was happy to hand them over to Larry for the drudgery of prep and paint.

Not bad. It was good to get some practice on Larry's dime, plus a few new tools in the deal. Some welds could be better; fortunately, I did improve from one gate to the next.
    Last edited by EdZep; 03-23-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Thumbs up

looks great. that new toy is paying for its self already.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Nice Job

Ed, great job on the gate, thanks for sharing. Sounds like it wasn't all that easy by using the old hinge pins but they hang nice.

I thought about buying an MM180 but I think I'll wait till Im awarded one in the Project Challenge this year
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Default Thanks

Of course, the worse part was all the crawling around on the garage floor to lay them out and weld.

Whoever built that wall should be tarred and feathered for the poorly inset gate pins.

I guess gates like this would get pretty expensive if any kind of hourly rate was involved.

Nice Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Default Very nice.

My entire business is tailored to fab and build nothing but gates, rails and similar products and have been doing it for about 26 years. This gate is very nice and looks as if you took your time to do it right! Some of the so called "gate & rail" guys around here could learn something from you without a doubt! Now with that said, you need to finish the detailing by adding decrotive caps or another good idea may be to simply run flat stock from end to end. Either way would give your gate a great finish.

Great job and if you're not careful you might find yourself doing a lot more with that kind of quality!

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Default Nice...

Great job! Fitting door and gates to messed up openings is a challenge. Looks like you did a fine job.
    John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
    MM 175
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Blue Star 185 DX
    Spectrum 375

Thanks, tacmig, nice of you to say. I did look at some past gate posts here, probably some of yours included. I wish I'd had a big ol' flat table to work on. I'm not sure decorative tips would have been in the budget, even if we'd found a source. I did flat-cap all those tubes, though, to keep them from filling and rusting.

Quote Originally Posted by tacmig View Post
    My entire business is tailored to fab and build nothing but gates, rails and similar products and have been doing it for about 26 years. This gate is very nice and looks as if you took your time to do it right! Some of the so called "gate & rail" guys around here could learn something from you without a doubt! Now with that said, you need to finish the detailing by adding decrotive caps or another good idea may be to simply run flat stock from end to end. Either way would give your gate a great finish.

Great job and if you're not careful you might find yourself doing a lot more with that kind of quality!

TacMig

Nice Job , Keep On The Good Work .
    FABRICATION-CRÉATION K ZEN

MILLERMATIC 210
    SPOOLMATE 3035
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    HYPERTHERM 360

Thanks, Handy. Too true. Looks like wonky doorways are becoming a common affliction, from what I've seen in newer houses around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Handy560 View Post
    Great job! Fitting door and gates to messed up openings is a challenge. Looks like you did a fine job.